The aftermath of rainstorms, floods, hurricanes, wind, and ice storms presents a number of challenges for those unfortunate enough to have been in their path. Loss of electrical power, flooding, downed trees, trash and debris, and blocked roadways are just a part of the myriad of obstacles facing the victims of these events. The conditions can be localized or Countywide.
A number of organizations, both public and private, provide an array of services to help citizens face the resulting challenges. The Department of Public Works (DPW) is one of those agencies that provides service to citizens following unusual weather events. Debris may sometimes block public roadways and accumulate on private properties. As DPW receives calls from residents, crews are immediately dispatched to clear blocked roadways.
Our first priority is safety. Supervisors assess the area affected and develop a plan of action. After the appropriate authorities have determined that the area is safe for our workers, crews will begin clearing public roadways. For example, crews cannot clear a roadway until Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE) addresses downed power lines. Downed wires should be reported to BGE at 1-800-685-0123.
Depending on the magnitude of the storm, interim measures may be taken when clearing public roads. Debris may be piled on road shoulders as crews continue to clear roadways. Downed tree debris originating from private property shall be removed and properly disposed of by the property owner. Removal and proper disposal of county-owned roadside tree debris will be completed after all roadways have been opened.
City of Annapolis residents should contact (410) 263-7946 for tree work during normal working hours, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After hours emergencies in the City should be reported to (410) 224-2140.
The State Highway Administration (SHA) maintains roads with route numbers. For central and southern parts of the County, you may contact SHA at (410) 841-1009 during normal working hours, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For northern Anne Arundel County, please call SHA at 410-766-3770. After hours emergencies should be reported to 1-800-543-2515.
Residents with storm debris on private property or who own storm debris that fall on County roadways or rights-of-way have a number of options available as follows:
  • Property owners may take the debris to any one of the three County recycling centers or the Millersville landfill. Residents hauling debris in most private vehicles will not be charged for disposal. For complete information regarding fees visit the Bureau of Waste Management Service's fee schedule.
  • Curbside yard waste collection services are available for debris that can be bagged, put in a container of choice and marked with an X, or bundled as described on the Bureau of Waste Management Service's yard waste webpage. Logs and large limbs cannot be collected at curbside.
  • Property owners may contact private contractors for assistance.
In the event of a flood or hurricane, residents may also experience damage to their home and its contents. To dispose of flood damaged appliances and furniture, please call (410) 222-6100 to schedule a bulk item collection. For more detailed information, please visit the Bureau of Waste Management's Bulk Item Collection webpage.
Building materials, construction, and demolition debris from flood-damaged homes are accepted at the County Recycling Centers and the Millersville Landfill.
On rare occasions, the County experiences an exceptional storm event. When the effect of hurricanes, blizzards, and tornadoes is catastrophic and wide spread, the Director of Public Works, in conjunction with the County Executive and the Office of Emergency Management, will assess Countywide conditions and determine the appropriate level of response.

You can submit your request from a mobile device.

Get the Mobile App for iOS or Android devices: 

Apple App Store
Google Play

Lookup up the Road District where the issue is located using the tool below for contact information. 

Road District Lookup