Anne Arundel County Animal Care and Control is accepting new applications for our volunteer program. The volunteer program assists the Agency in the accomplishment of our goals, including, but not limited to, .the adoption of and direct care for animals.
How to apply
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, be able to meet the 16 hour per month requirement of volunteer service hours, have all current pets vaccinated against rabies (as required by state law), have licenses for current pets, pass a background check and be prepared to comply with all volunteer policies at Animal Care & Control. Animal Care & Control asks that applicants be patient during the review process.
Applications can be mailed to us at:
Animal Care & Control
Attention Volunteer Coordinator
411 Maxwell Frye Rd
Millersville MD 21108
or email to P93516@aacounty.org
There are a variety of tasks volunteers perform including, but not limited to:
- Hands on interaction with the animals (including cleaning/feeding and socializing)
- Showing animals to prospective adopters
- Assisting customers
- Answering phones
- Photography and multi-media tasks
Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control is looking to expand our current foster program which allows the shelter to expand temporary capacity for housing animals, especially animals that do not usually thrive in the shelter environment, by uses of voluntary individuals in their homes for the direct benefit of the animals.
How to Apply
Please contact (410) 222-3892 or email email@example.com if you have questions in regards to the foster program.
We appreciate the citizens of Anne Arundel County wanting to assist Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control in the care of the animals within our facility. Since county residents often donate and inquire if there are specific needs, below is a list of items most useful for caring for animals at Animal Care & Control. Please limit donations to the items on the below list. For large donations please call the shelter. Please contact us if you have questions.
Can Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control use this donation?
As a county agency, Animal Care & Control cannot accept cash donations, but there are donation boxes in our lobby for Friends of Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control, a nonprofit created by our volunteers to help improve the lives of our shelter's homeless pets.
- Grain-free dog food (dry and/or canned)
- Canned cat food, ideally Friskies pate or Fancy Feast pate
- Kitten food (dry and/or canned)
- Miracle Nipples (original size)
- Cat carriers (clean and useable)
- Greenies Pill pockets for dogs
- New hard L/XL dog toys: Kongs, Jolly Balls, Benebones etc.
- NEW disinfectable plastic cat toys
- Squeeze cheese, mozzarella sticks
- Low-or no-salt pretzel sticks
- Distilled water (gallon size)
- Peanut butter, plain, no xylitol
- Puppy training pads
- Carefresh small animal bedding
- Veterinary quality flea/tick monthly meds, especially Revolution for XL dogs
- Dasuquin and Cosequin joint supplements
- Unscented clay litter (clumping or no-clump), and small bags of no-clump for fosters
- Pet store gift cards
- Cat cage scratch pads
- Kuranda beds
- Cloth martingale dog collars with buckles
- Dog leashes, new or gently used
Please check first with shelter, as needs change and space is limited
- Bath towels, wash cloths, hand towels
- Hay for small animals
- Fresh fruits/veggies for small animals
- Feed buckets, livestock leads
- Collapsible wire dog crates, plastic dog crates
- Cloth shower curtains
- Back Scratchers (to pet fractious cats)
- No salt-added canned green beans
- Karo syrup, corn oil, honey
- Sheets, pillow cases or other linens
- Large blankets or comforters
- Used or stuffed toys (can clog drains)
- Pillows or couch cushions
- Old, worn dog beds
- Used litterboxes
- Animal foods with red dye (mimics blood)
- Prescription medications (illegal to accept)
- Human clothing
- Unsanitary/broken items of any kind
Charitable Giving to County Programs
The Community Foundation of Anne Arundel County is a 501(c)3 organization. Donors can make a direct contribution to the Anne Arundel County Fund to benefit departments & programs.