Skip Navigation
Page Background


Right-of-Way Permits are administered by DPW's Bureau of Highways.  

When is a permit required?
Anytime you occupy, use, or engage in any activity in a public right-of-way including:
  • Excavation in paved and unpaved areas
  • Installation of above and below ground facilities
  • Activity that obstructs or impedes traffic
  • For Small Wireless Facility Applications
When is a permit not required?
  • Maintenance activity that makes no material change to the footprint of an existing facility or structure, makes no material change to the surface or sub-surface of a right-of-way, and does not disrupt or impede traffic.
  • Work governed by a permit issued by the Department of Inspections & Permits or governed by a Public Works Agreement.
Prohibited Conduct:
  • Private irrigation systems are not permitted within County rights-of-way.
  • Private fencing is not permitted within County rights-of-way.
  • Private utilities require the grant of an easement prior to occupancy in County rights-of-way.

Online Services

Apply, Report and Review Permits


Step 1: Complete Permit Application

a) Create an account if you do not have one. Fill in Owner Information - Please be sure to provide  a project contact name and telephone number

b) Login

c) Accept the Certification and Indemnity

d) Fill in Contractor Information - Unless you are doing the work yourself, all contractors must be licensed

c) Fill in Work Information - Briefly describe all activity in paved and unpaved areas of public the right-of-way

d) Fill in Location Information - Identify every street you impact


*Refer to the Design Manual for standard construction details. Information is listed under Standard Details for Construction / Section VII - Roadway and Site Improvements  


Step 2: Attach Two Sets of Dimensioned Drawings/Design Prints

a) Clearly Illustrate Your Proposed Work

b) Identify All Streets, Driveway Entrances & Sidewalks

c) Provide Detailed Measurements of Proposed Work Area (i.e. length/width of entrance, road, trench, bore, pit, aerial)

*.pdf preferred

** File size limit is 25 mb


Step 3: Fee Payment

a) Contact Rights of Way staff to schedule an appointment for fee payment.

b) Permit fees are accepted in the form of cash or check made payable to Anne Arundel County. 

Documents and Resources


Maintenance Permit
Maintenance Permit $16
Maintenance Permit Activity $11
Maintenance Permit Emergency Excavation in Paved Area $191


Individual Permit
Individual Permit Fee $56
Individual Permit Base Inspection Fee $127
Grassy Area (nonpaved) - Bore $64 for every 750 linear ft.
Grassy Area (nonpaved) – Trench $64 for every 500 linear ft.
Road Crossing (Buried) $64 for every road crossing
Longitudinal Bore in Paved Area $64 for every 500 linear ft.
Trenching Paved Area $64 for every 200 linear ft.
Excavations in Paved Area $64 per excavation


Small Wireless Facility
New Structure $4359
Colocation $2289
Modification $2180
Replacement $1608


*The fees provided shall increase each July first based on the consumer price index for all urban consumers (CPI-U) for the previous January.


2662 Riva Road
Annapolis, MD 21401
(410) 222-7500