These steps from The Department of Homeland Security can help you prepare for the unexpected.
- Remain calm
- Do NOT touch, tamper with, or move the package, bag, or item
- Call 9-1-1 and explain why the package appears suspicious
- Follow instructions given by 9-1-1 dispatcher
- If guidance has not been provided and you feel you are in immediate danger, calmly evacuate the area. Distance and cover are the best ways to reduce injury from an explosion
- Be aware. There could be other threats or suspicious items
A Radiological Dispersal Device combines a conventional explosive device with radioactive material. It is designed to release dangerous and sub-lethal amounts of radioactive material over a general area.
The size of the affected area and the level of destruction caused by a Radiological Dispersal Device would depend on the sophistication, size of the conventional bomb, and many other factors. The area affected could be cordoned off to the public for several months during cleanup efforts.
- Related Videos