Skip Navigation
COVID-19: Information, Resources, and Cancellations
Page Background

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do you get to Animal Care & Control?
    Our address is 411 Maxwell Frye Road Millersville, Maryland 21108
    From points south, head NORTH on I-97 towards Baltimore. Take EXIT 10 towards Benfield Boulevard/Severna Park. At the end of the ramp turn LEFT onto Veterans Highway. Make a RIGHT onto Maxwell Frye Road. Animal Care & Control is on the right approximately 0.25 miles down.
    From points north, head SOUTH on I-97 towards Annapolis/Bay Bridge. Take EXIT 10A towards Benfield Boulevard/Severna Park. MERGE onto Benfield Boulevard. Make a LEFT at Veterans Highway. Make a RIGHT onto Maxwell Frye Road. Animal Care & Control is on the right approximately 0.25 miles down.
  • What are Animal Care & Control hours of operation?
    Administrative Offices for Animal Licensing and Animal Redemption

    Monday CLOSED
    Tuesday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
    Wednesday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
    Thursday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
    Friday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
    Saturday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
    Sunday CLOSED
    Pet viewing and Adoption
    Monday CLOSED
    Tuesday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
    Wednesday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
    Thursday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
    Friday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
    Saturday 10 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
    Sunday CLOSED
  • Field Services Hours of Operation
    Routine calls for service will be handled
    Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am to 10:30 pm
    Saturday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
    Emergency Field Service - 24 hours daily
  • What are Anne Arundel County's adoption requirements?
    Anne Arundel County has several important requirements prior to adopting. Read from the list below to see if you are qualified to adopt from Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control.
    1. If the adopter has any other pets they must be current on their rabies vaccination.
    2. If the adopter is an Anne Arundel County resident all other pets in the household must be licensed with Animal Care & Control.
    3. The adopter must provide identification with their current address.
    4. If the adopter rents their property written approval from the landlord must be obtained.
    Animal Care & Control provides the spay/neuter for all previously unaltered animals adopted from our facility. If previously unvaccinated the followings vaccines are provided and are included in the adoption fees; rabies, distemper/parvo, and deworming.
    For an additional fee the following tests/services may be performed for your adopted pet; microchipping, heartworm test, and feline leukemia test.
  • How long does Animal Care & Control keep animals once they are picked up?

    Anne Arundel County Code requires that all stray domestic animals be held for five days unless they are extremely aggressive, seriously injured, or suffering. This time period gives an owner time to locate his/her pet without the threat of it being adopted to another home or being euthanized. If stray domestic animals are under 12 weeks of age they can be released sooner according to MD Law.  Animals surrendered to the shelter, with proof of ownership, can be adopted without the holding period.  After the required holding period, if applicable, animals deemed adoptable have no set time limits. 

    Animal Care & Control frequently receives underage puppies and kittens. Since state law prohibits the sale or adoption of animals under the age of 8 weeks, whenever possible Animal Care & Control will accept foster families or volunteers to assist with getting the puppies and kittens to adoption age. Animal Care & Control also works with various rescue groups to take in these animals and care for them until they are of legal adoption age.  These animals may appear on the website BEFORE they are old enough for adoption in effort to expedite their departure from the facility when they are legally able to be adopted out.      

    Every stray animal, unless the viewing galleries are full, that is deemed adoptable will be available for viewing in the facility's Feline and Canine Galleries or on the shelter's virtual tours Monday-Saturday at 9:30 a.m. on Facebook live. 

    Animal Care & Control begins accepting prescreens for adoption on animals as soon as they arrive in effort to expedite their departure from the facility after the completion of hold times and observation periods.   If you see a particular animal you are interested in, please complete our adoption prescreen available at and send it with the requested supporting documentation to [email protected]. We accept up to 3 prescreens per animal and they are processed in the order they are received. We can process your application much more quickly if you send all the required documents with the prescreen. (If the animal is in foster we do give the foster family the first option to adopt.)   

  • Does Animal Care & Control offer rabies shots?
    Yes. Anne Arundel County offers a low cost rabies shot clinic on Thursdays except on major holidays or when weather causes concern for the safety of clinic attendees. To schedule an appointment for our $5 rabies please go to  Please visit the Rabies Clinic information page for details (
  • What should you do about wildlife outside?
    Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control encourages citizens dealing with nuisance wildlife to consider ways to coexist. Wildlife is best left alone especially juvenile wildlife. A common myth is if a person touches a baby bird or rabbit, the mother will abandon it. A mother may be hesitant to return to her young while you are present. If you encounter wildlife on your property it's best to leave it alone and allow nature to take its course.
    There are several helpful tips on the Department of Natural Resources website.
    You can also contact them at 1-877-463-6497 during normal business hours. Also, located on The Department of Natural Resources website you can find a list of licensed independent contractors that for a fee will assist with removing the nuisance animals.
      If a pet or human has direct contact with wildlife please contact Animal Care & Control (410) 222-8900.
  • How can I get my animal that was picked up back from Animal Care & Control?

    Please send a copy of your driver’s license and proof of ownership to us at [email protected]. If your pet is currently vaccinated against rabies, please include a copy of the certificate or the name of the veterinary facility that provided it, the animal's name and under what person’s name the records will be. Please send us your full name, address, phone number AND your pet’s actual name and age. If you saw your pet on our website or facebook live videos, please also provide the name the shelter is calling your animal. 

    Please note we do have fees that are in accordance with County code (some/all may apply depending on what stage in the process your animal is in and other factors):

    • $25.00-$200.00 impound fee (depend on if the animal is spayed/neuter and previous impoundments),
    • $5.00 per night board
    • $20.00 rabies vaccination (if needed)
    • $40.00 microchip fee (if needed) 
    • $0.00-$125.00 animal license fee (depending on animal and owner)
    • $???? Veterinary expenses if your pet was seen by a veterinarian due to a medical concern 
    • $50-$1,000.00 citation(s) (if applicable) 

    We will send you back a document that will require your signature. Once we receive the above items and the signed document back, we will need you to call us at (410) 222-3919 to pay all applicable fees (if you do not have a credit card to pay over the phone please advise our team member so we can assist accordingly) and finalize your appointment time for pick up. Please remember when you come you should have a mask with you. 

    When you come to pick up, call us at (410) 222-3919 to say you are here. One of our team members will provide you directions on how to take physical custody of your pet while ensuring proper social distancing. Please wear a mask when out of your vehicle. 

  • Does Animal Care & Control perform owner requested euthanasia services?
    Yes. Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control performs humane euthanasia at the request of an owner.  The procedure is performed by technicians certified in humane euthanasia.  The procedure is performed at a cost of $5.00 per animal.  The owner may leave the animal’s remains with the agency for disposal at an additional cost of $0.77 per pound.  If the owner prefers to take the animal’s remains home with them after the procedure has been performed this can be arranged however the owner must inform the Animal Care & Control employees of their intent at the time of their arrival.  Animal Care & Control requires animal owners requesting euthanasia provide a driver’s license (for identification purposes), proof of ownership of the animal (i.e. veterinary records, proof of license, etc.) and all applicable fees at the time the service will be provided.  Unfortunately since 2010 Animal Care & Control has been unable to allow owners to remain with their pet during the euthanasia process additionally Animal Care & Control does not offer a service which would provide for the return of a cremated pet to an owner.  For these additional services it is recommended that owners speak with their regular veterinarian or a private crematory service provider. 
  • To make an appointment for our humane euthanasia services please call 410-222-3894 or email us at [email protected]
  • Does Animal Care & Control offer low cost spaying or neutering?

    Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control performs spay/neuter services for animals adopted from the agency. Visit the Spay/Neuter Services page for information about the service. 

  • What is Anne Arundel County's trapping policy?

    Anne Arundel County only allows for trapping of non-wildlife animals in violation of Anne Arundel County laws.  Community cats, by their mere presence, are not in violation of Anne Arundel County Laws (see There is an eartipped cat in my community what does that mean?) Generally speaking we do not loan traps for wildlife. Exceptions will be made for wildlife inside a home or wildlife involved in bites to people/pets. However, if trapping you must first obtain a permit number through The Department of Natural Resources at 1-877-463-6497.

    Humane animal traps are available from Animal Care & Control free of charge. You must be an Anne Arundel County resident. The trap may be used for two weeks and must be set inside Anne Arundel County's borders. You must obtain a trapping permit number prior to the issuance of a trap Permits can be obtained Monday through Friday through the Nuisance Animal Hotline 1-877-463-6497.  Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control has limited traps available and may not always have one available for loan. 

    Please email [email protected] or call 410-222-3894 for an appointment.  Please note if you are having issues with Nuisance Wildlife please contact 1-877-463-6497 

    Traps may be set on Monday beginning at 8:00 p.m. through Friday until 4:00 p.m. Traps may not be set on weekends or holidays. Traps must be monitored several times per day. Trapped animals shall not be touched or handled once trapped. Animal Care & Control should be contacted immediately for trapped animals.

  • What animals in Anne Arundel County have to be licensed?

    All owned cats and dogs above the age of 6 months, in Anne Arundel County, are required by law to be licensed. You can only obtain the license and license tag from Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control. This is not something that you can obtain through your veterinarian. Your pet must be current on its rabies vaccination prior to obtaining the license. Currently you can obtain the license every 1 or every 3 years concurrent with rabies vaccination. The cost varies depending on your personal situation, whether the animal is spayed or neutered and if the animal has an Administrative order.  Licensing fees for spayed/neutered animals are less than those for intact animals. 

    Community Cats are not considered owned animals and are not required to be licensed however Community Cat Caregivers are encouraged to microchip community cats for identification and verification of rabies purposes. 

  • What can I do about that barking dog or crowing rooster?

    If you call the facility with the address of the owner, Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control will send a letter to the owner advising them of the complaint. If sending a letter is not helpful the next step would be for you, the complainant, to file an affidavit against the owner of the animal. Affidavits must be complete, correct and notarized (see instructions with the Affidavit for more information). Once the affidavit is received at Animal Care & Control a citation may be issued to the owner for the violations of the law you witnessed. A link to the affidavits is provided below.

  • What does an owner have to provide if a dog is kept outside?

    Anne Arundel County law requires that a dog kept outdoors is provided with food daily and water at all times. A shelter which could be a doghouse must be provided as well. The shelter must have four sides, one of which must have a door. The shelter must have a roof, floor and bedding which must be dry. The shelter must be adequate in size as to allow the dog to stand up, lie down, and turn around without touching the sides but not so large as to prevent the animal's own body warmth from warming the space in cold temperatures. 

  • What should I do if I know someone is not providing proper shelter for their dog?
    Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control should be notified at (410) 222-8900. An officer will investigate the situation and take action as necessary. Please remember that an officer must observe the dog outside without shelter, if the dog is inside when the officer responds the officer will not have the authority to ensure that corrective action is made. If the officer does not observe a violation the officer will work to educate the owner on the laws in effort to remedy future circumstances.
  • What should I do if I was bitten or scratched by an animal?
    If you or someone you know has been bitten or scratched by an animal in Anne Arundel County , you must contact the Police Non-Emergency line at (410) 222-8610 to report the incident. Additionally Animal Care & Control always recommends you seek medical attention for an animal bite or scratch.  This information will then be forwarded to Animal Care & Control's Bite Investigation Department and the Anne Arundel County Department of Health for follow up. It is important that any bite or scratch be reported due to the importance of tracking any possible rabies exposures. Rabies is a lethal disease. There is no cure.
  • Why doesn’t Animal Care & Control respond to my call after hours?
    If the officers were required to handle non-emergency types of calls during non-business hours it would pose a safety risk to the community and the staff member. The same officer that may be “on call” will be required to work their regular normal hours in addition to the “on call” hours. In an effort to maintain a safe environment for the community and the staff certain types of calls have been restricted when the officer is “on call”.
  • What is Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control’s policy on Pit Bulls?

    For over 20 years Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control has not adopted out dogs labeled by the section as Pit Bull type to the general public. After the initial decision not to adopt out Pit Bull type dogs was made, Pit Bull type dogs that were not reclaimed were humanely euthanized after their stray holding period. In approximately 2001, Animal Care & Control began working with rescue groups out of Anne Arundel County to place Pit Bull type dogs that appeared to be friendly. In 2011, Animal Care & Control began working with rescue groups within Anne Arundel County in addition to rescues outside the county to place dogs labeled Pit Bull type without known aggression issues and volunteers became able to interact with Pit Bull type dogs after a brief observation of the dog. In 2012, Animal Care & Control began posting signs on the cages of Pit Bull type dogs without known aggression issues indicating that if individuals are interested in them they can inquire about the rescue groups we work with. In 2013, the signs on Pit Bull type dogs without known aggression issues were revised in effort to make them more appealing. In 2014 Animal Care & Control began posting Pit Bull type dogs on our website, removed the "Not For Adoption" sticker/stamp from Pit Bull bull type dogs cage cards, began adopting out apparently friendly Pit Bull type dogs through our rescue partners and began allowing volunteers to interact socialize with Pit Bull type dogs upon arrival just like other dogs. In 2015 Animal Care & Control staff and volunteers began allowing potential adopters to meet Pit Bull type dogs available for adoption through our rescue partners and changed their status on the website to indicate they are available for adoption through a rescue group.

    At this time Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control has decided the best option for the shelter, the community and the animals is to continue to partner with rescue groups on placing Pit Bull type dogs. Animal Care & Control believes that we have an obligation to the community and the animals to do our best to make sure that the Pit Bull type dogs that are being placed in new homes are “The Best of the Best” and going to homes that are “The Best of Best.” Currently Animal Care & Control does not have the evaluation protocols in place that we believe are necessary for the proper placement of Pit Bull type dogs. The majority of the rescues Animal Care & Control works with go through some level of behavioral assessment for the dogs. They have an extensive application process for the potential adopters and many of them also perform home visits to ensure the animal will go to a home with a responsible pet owner. At this time Animal Care & Control cannot perform these evaluations to the same level as the rescue groups we work with.

    Animal Care & Control is making an effort to reduce the likelihood of Pit Bull type dogs with aggression issues being released from our facility. In addition, we are also making a concerted effort to prevent having a Pit Bull type dog from our facility end up in a home with an irresponsible owner or worse, an owner with ill intentions. Animal Care & Control plans to continue working with reputable rescue groups to assist in finding homes for as many of the apparently friendly Pit Bull type dogs entering our shelter each year as possible. Over the past several years the live release rate of apparently friendly Pit Bull type has been steadily climbing.

  • What forms of payment does Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control accept?

    Animal Care & Control accepts CASH, CHECKS  or CREDIT CARDS for most transactions (checks are not accepted for redemptions and credit cards are not typically accepted when the rabies clinic is operating normally).

  • If I am having a repeated issue with an animal owner violating or allowing their animal(s) to be in violation of the Anne Arundel County Code and unfortunately the violations are not able to be witnessed by an Animal Care & Control Officer is there anything that can be done?
    Yes, individuals that witness violations of the Anne Arundel County Code Animal Care & Control Section can complete an affidavit of complaint in regards to violations they witness.  The affidavits must be complete, accurate and notarized. Based on these affidavits of complaint Animal Care & Control can issue a citation for the violations.  If the animal owner decides to dispute the citation the complainant will be needed, in addition to any evidence of the violation, at hearings regarding the citation.  
  • If I witness an animal with a Potentially Dangerous Order or Dangerous Order in violation of the Order is there anything that can be done?

    Yes, individuals that witness violations of Potentially Dangerous or Dangerous Orders issued by Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control to protect public safety can file an affidavit of complaint.  The affidavits must be complete, accurate and notarized. Based on these affidavits of complaint Animal Care & Control can issue a citation for the violation(s) witnessed.  If the animal owner decides to dispute the citation the complainant will be needed, in addition to any evidence of the violation, at hearings regarding the citation.

  • If I want to obtain a copy of a Potentially Dangerous Order or Dangerous Order for a dog in my community can I obtain these records? 
    Yes, if you complete a Request to Inspect or Receive Public Records request we will provide you a copy of the order. Please keep in mind while we try to fulfill these requests as soon as possible we have up to 30 days to provide the information. 
  • I am interested in owning chickens or ducks and live on a property less that 40,000 square feet, what do I do? 
    You may now be able to obtain Chickens or Ducks effective January 13th 2014 depending on your property size.  If you have enough property you must obtain a Chicken/Duck License prior to obtaining chickens or ducks. Please view the Chicken/Duck Application and Information Packet. For additional information applications are also available at the shelter.
  • What do I do if I am missing my pet?

    If you are looking for a lost pet text LOSTPET to (833) 689-0855 (see details) for tips to help you find your missing pet. Please check the “animals at the shelter” page, look at both “animals for adoption” and “animals for reclaim/rescue only”.

    If you see your lost pet on the page please contact Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control at (410) 222-8900 and click the link for "Redemption" for information on the process. 

    If you do not see your pet on either page, please visit the shelter to complete a lost card and to walk through the shelter to see if s/he has arrived since the website was updated.   You should also complete the Lost Form on our website and look for your pet on our Found Pet Listing page. 
     Owners of missing pets are encouraged to report lost pets on social media, check with local veterinary hospitals and visit shelters in bordering jurisdictions to look for their pet, especially if they reside near a county border. Additionally, if your pet is microchipped please ensure your information is current with the company and they are notified your pet is missing.

  • I have questions about cats in my Community what should I do?