State's Attorney FAQs

A list of common questions asked to the Office of the State's Attorney.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are seeking information about your case, go to Maryland Judiciary Case Search.

The Office of the State's Attorney is charged with prosecuting all criminal and traffic offenses that occur in Anne Arundel County. These include all crimes, ranging from a traffic offense to murder. Our office represents the victims of crimes. We do not handle civil matters, nor Department of Human Resources Division matters such as child support.

If your case is in the Circuit Court, contact (410) 222-1740, Annapolis District Court, call (410) 260-1330 and for Glen Burnie District Court cases, call (410) 222-6085.

Victims or witnesses should contact the police to make a report. In certain circumstance, you may also go to a District Court Commissioner and file charges against the person who you alleged committed a crime against you. 

A subpoena means you MUST come to court on the assigned date. If you are unable to do so the Assistant State's Attorney handling the case or Victim-Witness Specialist MUST personally excuse you. Not showing up for your court date may result in a bench warrant or body attachment being issued for your arrest.

The court date is located on the subpoena. If you did not receive a subpoena, check Maryland Judiciary Case Search or contact the Victim-Witness advocate assigned to your case.

The Anne Arundel County State's Attorney's Office does not play a role in child support or domestic relations matters other than domestic violence. Please contact the Office of Child Support Enforcement for Anne Arundel County at 1-800-332-6347.

Robert F. Sweeney District Court Building
251 Rowe Boulevard 
Annapolis, MD 21401 
(410) 260-1314
(410) 260-1349

Click here for directions and hours of operation. 

Reports may be requested either by mail or in person. Reports will not be faxed or emailed to non-law enforcement requestors. Requests by mail must include the required fee. Including a self-addressed stamped envelope will expedite your response. You may request the report by letter or the Report Request form. If you do not know the police report number, please be sure to include as much information as possible when making your request such as the date, specific location of incident, type of incident and names of involved persons. While we cannot guarantee that we will be able to locate a police report without a case number, we will make every effort to identify the report based on the information that you provide.
Please be aware that after an officer has completed a police report, it must undergo an approval process. This process may take seven (7) to ten (10) days and reports are not available prior to this time. Prior to mailing your request or appearing in person, call us on (410) 222-8750 to confirm that the report is available for release.

Ask us a Question

If you are seeking information that is not available on our site, please fill out the form below and we will respond as soon as possible. Please note that we are ethically barred from providing legal advice.

Indicates required field