Coaches are entrusted with the important responsibility of providing an enjoyable, healthy youth sports experience. Coaches are role models and held accountable to a code of behavior that ensures youth sports remain in proper perspective. To assist with this vital undertaking, the Department provides all coaches with free online training courses. Please click on the NAYS Free Coaches training links below to complete all of the required training courses.
- Bullying Prevention Training Certification
- Concussion Training Certification
- Maryland Resource for Mandated Reporters - Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect Certification
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training Certificate
There are many more courses that you are welcome and encouraged to complete if you so choose.
Upon successful completion of this screening process (which includes a cleared A.A. County Recreation and Parks background check, 4 training certificates on file, and youth sports coaches’ code of conduct for each sport), the volunteer/coach’s name will appear on the Volunteer Database and will be considered a Certified Coach. The coach’s certification credentials will be valid for a period of up to 3 years.
Volunteer Coaches are our programs' greatest assets. The Coaches Certification is available to educate coaches on the expectations of Anne Arundel County. Whether this is your first experience as a coach or you have been coaching for several years, you will need to fulfill all six (6) mandatory requirements below. The purpose of this certification program is for children's safety, to develop coaching skills, teach good sportsmanship and make sure that all coaches receive the same information. This must be done every 3 years.
When you complete any of the free training modules, you will receive a certificate after each module. Please print the certificate and upload the certificates to the Team Sports Portal. Click on the "My Info Link" in the Team Sports Portal.
Every year ALL coaches must complete the Youth Sports Coaches' Code of Ethics. This can also be completed in the Team Sports Portal.
Team Sports Portal
The purpose of the Department of Recreation and Parks’ Volunteer Background Check program is to ensure that every individual who interacts with children undergoes a criminal history records check.
Any adult (age 18 and over) with care and custody of a child and recognized by a Recreation/Sports Association as a prospective Commissioner/Coach/Volunteer must complete a Volunteer Background Consent/Release Form prior to participating with the team. The Volunteer Background Consent/Release Form is good for three (3) years.
Volunteer Background Consent/Release Form
There are many training courses through NAYS, however Coaches are required to complete the following FREE trainings and upload the certificates to the Team Sports Portal (partial/incomplete submissions will not be accepted):
- Bullying Prevention Training Certification (https://www.nays.org/bullying-prevention-training)
- Concussion Training Certification (https://www.nays.org/concussion-training)
- Maryland Resource for Mandated Reporters - Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect Certification (https://training.reportabusemd.com) Currently experiencing Technical Difficulties 2.26.2024
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training Certificate (https://www.nays.org/sudden-cardiac-arrest-training)
These are not training course however are required to be completed prior to coaching