National Preparedness Month
Every year, September is recognized as National Preparedness Month, to raise awareness about the importance of preparing for disasters and emergencies that could happen at any time. Preeti Emrick, Director of the Anne Arundel County Office of Emergency Management, stresses that with the likelihood of severe weather events increasing, “being prepared is more important than ever.” That is why this month we are focusing on helping our community members prepare for all types of emergencies and disasters with four simple steps: Be Informed, Make a Plan, Build a Kit, and Get Involved.
- Explore our website to learn about what hazards affect our area and what to do when they occur.
- Stay up-to-date on current conditions, watches, warnings, and other alerts to make informed decisions for your safety.
- Sign up for the County's Mass Notification System, Alert Anne Arundel which is used to send emergency alerts directly to your phone or email. To sign up visit https://alertannearundel.civicready.com/
- Follow us on social media for preparedness tips, Pepper the Preparedness Pup videos, and more by visiting https://www.aacounty.org/departments/office-of-emergency-management/contact-us/index.html#social-media.
Make a Plan
- Know what to do and who you can contact during, and after an emergency.
- Use our new “My Guide to Emergency Preparedness” to create a customized plan for your family's specific needs, including individuals with access and functional needs, children, and pets.
- Share your plan with your family and practice it often so everyone is comfortable with it!
Build a Kit
- Build an evacuation go-kit with important items including non-perishable food and water, personal hygiene items, medication, a first aid kit, and important documents. Think about other items to add to your evacuation go-kit that would help in case of an emergency.
- Store your emergency supplies in a duffel bag, backpack, or a small wheeled suitcase for easy transportation.
- Build a shelter-in-place kit with supplies to survive on your own for at least 3 days. Visit https://youtu.be/FVwlcifEWm0 for tips on what to add to your kit!
- Build a kit for your pet(s) to include anything they might need when evacuating or sheltering-in-place. Visit www.aacounty.org/pets for more information.
- You can also build your kits over time and add additional items to become more prepared for any type of disaster!
- Help neighbors prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters by discussing emergency plans, sharing safety tips, and lending a helping hand.
- Request an emergency preparedness presentation for your community or request for us to attend your community’s event to share emergency preparedness information and materials.
- Volunteer at or donate to a local food bank or other non-profit organization. For more information about local volunteer opportunities visit www.aacounty.org/oem/volunteer
You can also get involved by attending our annual Emergency Preparedness Expo. Join us from 10 am to 2 pm at the Anne Arundel Community College Arundel Mills Campus on Saturday, September 17, 2022. This free, family-friendly event has hands-on displays, games, and activities to provide a fun-filled way to learn about preparing for emergencies! Text "EXPO2022" to 38276 to sign up for information and updates about the event including demonstration times, raffles, and more!
Also, check out some of our other upcoming events below:
|September 9, 2022|
|9 am -11 am Arc of the Chesapeake 9/11 Day of Remembrance|
26 West Street, Annapolis, MD 210401
|September 11, 2022|
|8 am -12 pm Meade High School Flags Across America Memorial|
1100 Clark Rd, Fort Meade, MD 20755
|September 16, 2022|
|9 am -1 pm Anne Arundel County Fair Children’s Day|
|September 17, 2022|
|10 am - 2 pm Anne Arundel County Emergency Preparedness EXPO|
|September 24, 2022|
|8:30 am - 3 pm Hispanic Health Fest |
9 am - 3 pm Linthicum Community Fair
10 am - 7:30 pm 44th Korean Festival
10:30 am - 11:30 am Edgewater Library Reading with Pepper
12 pm - 6 pm African Heritage Festival
|September 26, 2022|
|11 am - 2 pm HCAAC Heritage Crest/Overlook Fair|
|September 29, 2022|
|9 am - 1 pm HHWC Health, Wellness, Caregiving Fair|