Man Sentenced to 40 Years in Prison for Fatal Shooting of Stepson Over Parking Dispute

Annapolis, Maryland – A 71-year-old man was sentenced to 40 years in prison on Friday for the February 2023 fatal shooting of his adult stepson following an argument over a parking spot at their Brooklyn home, State's Attorney Anne Colt Leitess announced.

The Honorable Kathleen Vitale sentenced George Albert Summers to 40 years with the first five years to be served without the possibility of parole.

"This is sadly another case where a verbal dispute turned deadly because of easy access to a firearm, the opposite of what was needed in this heated situation," Leitess said. "There is no excuse for a man to lose his life over something as trivial as a parking space, especially at the hands of his own stepfather. It is even more devastating this happened with the victim, Sharod Moore's, own mother close by.

"This sentence ensures the Defendant will remain behind bars for the expected remainder of his life."

On February 22, 2023, just after 2:30 p.m., Anne Arundel County police were called to the unit block of Park Place for the report of a shooting that had occurred inside the residence. At the scene, police located Summers' 48-year-old stepson, Sharod Moore, suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. He was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where he later died.

Outside the home, police found Summers waiting. He was taken into custody without incident, and admitted to shooting his stepson due to an ongoing parking dispute.

Summers' wife, the victim's mother, explained to officers that her husband had asked Moore to move his vehicle from Summers' usual parking spot multiple times that day, but that Moore could not locate the keys. She said Summers erupted and told her he would break down Moore's bedroom door and kill him. Moments later, she heard a gunshot from Moore's room.

On March 14, 2024, Summers entered a guilty plea to Second-Degree Murder and Use of a Firearm in Commission of a Violent Crime.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant State's Attorney Joshua Adrian on behalf of the citizens of Anne Arundel County.