Each year, the second full week in April is designated as National Animal Care & Control Appreciation Week by the National Animal Care & Control Association. This week of appreciation is designed to give recognition to the hard-working men and women of Animal Care and Control agencies across the country who dedicate themselves to protect the welfare of helpless animals and pets that are rescued from injury, disease, abuse and starvation; as well as those who enforce animal control laws, protect the public from diseases such as rabies, and who educate the public on the proper care of the community’s pets.
In Anne Arundel County, our animal care & control officers, kennel staff, technicians, contract veterinarians, clerical staff and volunteers protect public safety, ensure humane treatment of animals, and provide quality professional services to the public. In 2018 alone:
- 1,246 animals were adopted to their “forever homes” from the Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control Shelter, including 862 cats, 313 dogs and a wide variety of other species, among them 14 birds, 14 guinea pigs, two ferrets, and one iguana.
- 1,133 additional homeless animals were turned over to one of the many nonprofit rescue group partners in our community. Most were cats or dogs, but everything from tiny gerbils to big pigs were among a wide variety of other species represented.
- lost animals were reunited with their owners – including, but not limited to, 696 dogs, 101 cats and one ferret.
- 1,802 animal bites/exposures were investigated to ensure public safety and public health, 182 Warning letters were issued with recommendations for owners to prevent future incidents and 59 Administrative orders were issued for the protection of the public.
- Seven Community Cats were released to Community Cat Caregivers and five ear tipped community cats were returned to the location they were trapped.
- Please help us say “THANK YOU!” to our valuable Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control employees and volunteers during this year’s National Animal Care & Appreciate Week.