Skip Navigation
Page Background

Man Receives 34 Years in Prison for Weeklong Crime Spree of Robbery and Assaults

ANNAPOLIS,MD - Michael L. Arnold, 36, of Baltimore was sentenced to 34 years in prison by the Honorable Mark W. Crooks for one count of robbery, one count of attempted robbery and three counts of assault on correctional officers for three separate incidents occurring during a one week span announced Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney Anne Colt Leitess.

Arnold entered a plea of guilty on December 5, 2019.

“Arnold’s week of robbing, attempting to rob and assaulting members of our county correctional staff came to an end thanks to a thorough police investigation and our prosecution. He will now be held accountable for his actions which jeopardized the safety of our community and our county employees,” said Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney Anne Colt Leitess. “Safeguarding our community from violent offenders remains the top priority for my office.”

Assistant State’s Attorney James Tuomey prosecuted the case on behalf of the citizens of Anne Arundel County.

On July 20, 2018, Anne Arundel County police responded to C Mart located in the 8000 block of Fort Smallwood Road in Pasadena to investigate an armed robbery. The investigation revealed that a suspect, wearing a Dallas Cowboys hat and a red shirt entered the establishment removed a handgun from a bag he was carrying and threatened to shoot an employee if he didn’t comply with his demand to open the register. The employee opened the store’s register and the suspect took $800 and six cartons of Newport brand cigarette valued at $45 each before leaving the store.

Two days later, on July 22, 2018, an Anne Arundel County police officer was entering a WaWa located in the 8300 block of Veterans Highway in Millersville to conduct a routine check of the store. Upon entering, the officer observed several employees near the deli counter acting strangely with panicked and fearful expressions on their faces. As the officer walked further into the store, he observed the defendant, later identified as Michael L. Arnold, wearing a Dallas Cowboys hat, a dark colored t-shirt and shorts standing in the deli area pointing a handgun at the ground. Recognizing that an armed robbery was unfolding, the officer pulled out his service weapon and ordered Arnold to lie on the ground. Arnold complied and was taken into custody without incident. The firearm Arnold possessed was later found to be a BB gun. The investigation revealed that Arnold and another man entered and exited the store several times and once customers were no longer in the store, Arnold approached the deli area with a small black handgun. Arnold demanded that an employee open the store’s register drawer and he complied. After the employee opened the register, Arnold looked inside and said, “It’s not even worth it.” The officer entered the store after Arnold made the comment.

Police were able to confirm through surveillance footage that Arnold was the same individual who robbed the C Mart two days earlier. Arnold confessed to committing the robbery at the C Mart and at the WaWa.

While detained at the Jennifer Road Detention Center in Annapolis pending trial on those robberies, Arnold assaulted three correctional officers. At approximately 4:17 p.m. on July 26, 2018, a female correctional officer went to take Arnold for an evaluation. After opening Arnold’s cell door, the defendant unexpectedly rushed the correctional officer and forcibly grabbed her upper body. Arnold was holding a 4-foot long metal pole and a screw wrapped in toilet paper. Investigation revealed that he had pulled the bar, a handicap grab bar, and the screws used to anchor it out of the wall in his cell. Arnold shoved the correctional officer and placed the screw to her throat and told her, “Don’t make me do it.” When other correctional officers arrived on the scene, Arnold was standing behind the female officer with his arms wrapped around her from behind with the screw at her neck. As a responding correctional officer approached him, Arnold proceeded to walk backwards down the hallway dragging the female correctional officer away from the responding officer. Eventually, the responding correctional officer was able to grab Arnold and free the female correctional officer. Both officers then attempted to take Arnold into custody however he resisted their efforts by pushing and punching them. Arnold punched the responding correctional officer in the head with the screw. During the struggle, a third correctional officer arrived and was punched and scratched with the screw as well. Correctional officers were finally able to spray Arnold with OC spray and restrain him.
Topics: States Attorney
Subscribe to RSS
RSS Feed