Skip Navigation
Page Background

Hanover Man Sentenced to 8 Years for Assaulting Anne Arundel County Sheriff Officers

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney Anne Colt Leitess announced today that Shane Peart, 33, of Hanover was sentenced to 13 years suspend all but eight years of active incarceration in prison, for two counts of second degree assault, two counts for wearing or carrying a dangerous weapon with the intent to injure two Anne Arundel County Sheriff’s officers, Corporal Saadia Feliciano and Sergeant Matthew Beall, and one count of resisting arrest.

An Anne Arundel County jury found the defendant guilty after a three-day trial on November 22, 2021.

“What started as a routine warrant service of the defendant ultimately turned into a great risk to these law enforcement officers,” said Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney Anne Colt Leitess. “In this case, the defendant charged toward the officers and he repeatedly ignored their commands to stop. They were able to subdue him by deploying non-lethal means to stop him. I am thankful that Cpl. Feliciano and Sgt. Beall were able to respond in a manner that kept themselves, other residents in the home and the defendant safe from serious injury during this difficult interaction.”

Assistant State’s Attorney Jaymi Sterling prosecuted the case on behalf of the citizens of Anne Arundel County.

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021, Anne Arundel County sheriff officers arrived at the 1600 block of Durham Way in Hanover to serve a warrant for the defendant who was identified as Shane Peart.

When the officers arrived, a female resident advised that the defendant had locked himself in an upstairs bedroom, something he frequently did. The resident unlocked the door and the defendant immediately became enraged and aggressive and charged toward the bedroom door. At this point, one of the officers attempted to stick his foot in the door to stop the defendant from closing it on them however, the defendant was able to close the door and lock it. A male resident was once again able to use tools to open the door which allowed the sheriff officers to regain access to the room.

Once the door was reopened the officers noticed the defendant holding what appeared to be a knife inside a leather carrier. The officers pulled out their Tasers and ordered the defendant to drop the knife. He ignored them and advanced toward them while struggling to remove the knife from the leather carrier. One of the officers deployed a Taser and the knife fell on the floor and the defendant fell on the bed.

The defendant continued to refuse to place his hands behind his back and aggressively resisted arrest by kicking one of the officers for several minutes. They eventually were able to handcuff the defendant who was placed under arrest and transported to Jennifer Road Detention Center.

The Honorable Cathleen Vitale presided over the case. 

Topics: States Attorney
Subscribe to RSS
RSS Feed
Browse By Date
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31