|1941 Aerial Photo of Beverley Beach on Chesapeake Bay|
|Images Courtesy of the Emma Schramm Collection|
Mayo Civic Association Building, built in 1900
The Mayo Benefit Association was formed in 1897 by community members. Mayo Hall or now known as Mayo Civic Association Building was built in 1900 by the Mayo Benefit Association to be used as a benefit for the community. The current owners, The Mayo Civic and Recreation Association, founded by many of the members of the Mayo Benefit Association, purchased the building in 1956 and the location has been landmark and a community facility for socializing, education, and recreation for over 100 years.
John Gassaway originally patented the land that contains the Mayo Civic Association Building as a 241-acre tract in 1750. He named the tract Cotters Desire for his wife Sarah Cotter. In 1833, Isaac Mayo purchased Cotters Desire (246 acres) from the estate of Thomas J. Cowman. The property had been in the Mayo family since the mid 19th century and was part of Mayo’s tract called Gresham, which was made up of seven contiguous tracts totaling 988 acres in 1852.
In August of 1899, William D. and Cora M. Collison sold a parcel of land containing 20 acres to Nicholas G. Collison for $800.00. The majority of the residents, including Nicholas G. Collison and his sons, in the South River/Mayo area in 1900 were watermen involved in the oyster industry, some were small-scale farmers. Nicholas G. Collison also had a store in Scabbletown. Many worked out of the Rhode River and Cadle Creek on the southwest side of Scrabbletown and the southernmost end of the peninsula, just south of Mayo.
Over the last century the “Mayo Hall” has been the meeting location for local women’s and men’s community groups, the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, the 4-H, and other meetings. Mayo Hall also hosted “oyster & chicken roasts,” picnics, and square dancing for the Mayo community for generations.