Scheduling Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 1. When do I need a facility/field use permit?Use of Department of Recreation and Parks and Board of Education fields for organized activities is by permit only. This is not meant to discourage or prohibit neighborhood residents from using an available field. Examples of an organized activity would be a team holding practices, games or tournaments. Use of a field for activities such as kite flying, a parent playing catch with a child or neighborhood kids playing ball is not considered organized activities.
The Board of Education has a Joint Use Agreement with the Department of Recreation and Parks. All use of Board of Education indoor and outdoor facilities is scheduled by the Department of Recreation and Parks with the exception of:
In addition to Board of Education facilities, the Department of Recreation and Parks’ Facility Scheduling Office also schedules the use of athletic fields and pavilions in community parks and the gym at the South County Recreation Center.
- School-Sponsored Events
- Religious Activities
- Use By Commercial Groups
- Indoor Use by Non-Anne Arundel County Groups
- 2. How do I apply for a facility/field use permit?Prior to requesting the use of a public facility, all organizations, except those solely requesting the use of a regional park, recreation center, pool, safety turf field, pavilion or picnic area, must first become accredited or be designated as Level Three – Non-Accredited Other with the Department of Recreation and Parks (refer to Organizational Accreditation).Requests for Board of Education property, school use, Recreation & Parks facilities or pavilions request should be submitted via ActiveNet and can be done so by going to www.aacounty.org/recparks.Organizations should be set up within ActiveNet with specified users. Contact the Facility Scheduling office at (410) 222-7315 with questions regarding your access to ActiveNet.
- 3. What is the Facility Use Scheduling Cycle?The Department of Recreation and Parks’ Facility Scheduling Office accepts Facility Use requests for three (3) periods of use per year – fall, winter and spring/summer. It is the applicant’s responsibility to complete a request for the appropriate facilities on-line via ActiveNet by the respective deadline. Applicants who do not submit a request for use by the posted due date jeopardize their chance of obtaining a Facility Use Permit. The Facility Use Scheduling Cycle dates are posted on the Recreation and Parks website.No natural grass field use is permitted from December 1st through the end of February, with the exception of the last two (2) Sundays in February.
- 4. What is Organizational Accreditation?To ensure compliance with departmental standards regarding access to public facilities, the Department of Recreation and Parks has established an accreditation process for all organizations and groups.The purpose of organizational accreditation is to foster and facilitate the role of the Department in promoting and ensuring the quality and diversity of athletic and recreational programming in Anne Arundel County.Accreditation does not provide automatic access to Board of Education and/or Department of Recreation and Parks facilities/fields. An accredited organization demonstrates that it has met departmental standards and is eligible to access Board of Education and/or Department of Recreation and Parks facilities/fields, (does not include Regional Parks) using the facility scheduling process.Prior to requesting the use of a public facility, all organizations, except those solely requesting the use of a regional park, recreation center, pool, safety turf field, pavilion or picnic area, must first become accredited or be designated as Level Three – Non-Accredited Other with the Department of Recreation and Parks (refer to Organizational Accreditation).
- 5. What are the requirements for Accreditation?Organizations seeking accreditation for the first time may apply at any time. Accreditation guidelines and forms can be downloaded from the Department’s website. Organizations that engage in athletic activities must include an assessment of community need along with their accreditation submittal.The departmental evaluation and determination of an initial accreditation submittal could take up to 180 days. Organizations will not be permitted the use of public facilities until the departmental determination is rendered regarding their accreditation submittal.
- 6. How do I schedule a Safety Turf Field?Use of the turf fields will be scheduled on a priority basis as such: BOE Activities and Events, Recreation & Parks – Games/Events, Community Groups, and Rentals. Scheduled use of any turf field will be for a minimum of two (2) hours. Cancellations by permitted user must be submitted to Recreation & Parks no less than 24 hours prior to use. For weekend use, cancellations MUST be received by 3:00 pm the Friday before use. Cancellations not received by guidelines above will be subject to paying the scheduled usage fee. The following fees will be charged for the permitted “CASUAL” use of Safety Turf Fields. Determination as to whether a sport is in season and out of season will be made by Recreation & Parks in accordance with the Departments offerings. Fees may be adjusted based on contractual agreements.
- 7. What do I do when my requested time for a permit is not available?
- 8. Can my organization grant permission to another group to use my permit?The unauthorized granting of use of a public facility by a permitted organization to another organization without departmental approval is prohibited and may lead to adverse accreditation action for those organizations involved. To obtain written approval to grant another organization the use of a permitted facility, an organization must contact the Facility Scheduling Office in advance. SUBLETTING USE OF PUBLIC FACILITIES: The charging of a fee by facility user groups for the use of public facilities is strictly prohibited.