Skip Navigation
COVID-19: Information, Resources, and Cancellations
Page Background

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

During this unpresented time our department has received many emails, calls and questions. Below please find a list of FAQ’s and responses we hope will provide our residents with the information they need. We will continue to push out COVID-19 resources and information through our website and social media. Thank you for your patience and cooperation
Updated November 12, 2020

As of Thursday, November 12, 2020 - Social gatherings, indoors, of more than 10 people or outdoors of more than 25 people are prohibited.

  • “Social gatherings” include, but are not limited to, parties, cookouts, concerts or performances, parades, festivals, conventions, fundraisers, and other gatherings that are not associated with operating or patronizing a business.
  • “Social gatherings” do not include gatherings at retail stores, offices, restaurants, fraternal social clubs, youth sports, or casinos, or gatherings for religious or spiritual purposes on the premises of a religious or spiritual facility.
  • General Questions
    What facilities, buildings and offices are closed?
    • The Recreation and Parks Headquarters located at 1 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD 20401 is currently closed.
    • In all parks, visitor’s centers remain closed, at this time.
    Are fields open during the winter?
    • Beginning December 1, 2020 until March 1, 2021 all natural grass fields are closed for organized activities requiring permits.
    • If COVID-19 Guidelines direct all other fields will be closed as well.
    What are some good resources to read more about COVID-19?
    • Visit the Anne Arundel County website’s resource hub for COVID-19. This information has been compiled in order to inform and protect county residents from this dangerous disease.
    What is the department’s policy on refunds as it relates to COVID-19?
    • Facility / School / Field Use Reservations: We ask you to send an email cancellation to [email protected] with the requester name/organization, date of use, facility/school and request number if possible.
    • Programs and Activities:  Please complete a withdrawal form and submit it to [email protected].  Programs that are cancelled due to COVID 19 will be refunded automatically
    What Recreation & Park events are postponed or canceled?
  • Athletics - Youth & Adult Sports
    Are practices, games and workouts allowed on County fields?
    • As of November 16, 2020, all athletic activities have been suspended on County fields/facilities.
    • Athletic fields are open for casual use by citizens.  NO organized practices, games etc. should be held.
    • View the Anne Arundel County Health Department’s best practices for COVID-19 Safety for Youth Sports Activities here:
    Are indoor sports going take place?
    • Currently we are awaiting a decision from the Anne Arundel County Board of Education in regard to use of schools for indoor activities.  Therefore no decision has been made regarding indoor activities.
    Can we run a league on County fields or how do we get a permit for field use?
    • No, Independent organizations cannot run leagues on County Fields.
    • In order to obtain a permit you must be an accredited organization or be an approved vendor of Anne Arundel County Recreation and Parks.
  • Aquatic Centers - North Arundel Aquatic Center & Arundel Olympic Swim Center
    When will North Arundel Aquatic Center and Arundel Olympic Swim Center be opening?
  • Child Care
    When will registration open for the Second Marking Period of the 2020-2021 school year?


    The Anne Arundel County Department of Recreation and Parks will continue offering full-day (7am-6pm) child care programs into the second marking period of the school year starting November 16, 2020. These programs will take place in select school buildings that have separate child care rooms attached to the building:

    • Benfield Elementary School
    • Davidsonville Elementary School
    • Folger McKinsey Elementary School
    • Freetown Elementary School
    • Glendale Elementary School
    • Hebron-Harman Elementary School
    • High Point Elementary School
    • Lake Shore Elementary School
    • Mayo Elementary School
    • Nantucket Elementary School
    • Pasadena Elementary School
    • Please visit
    Are there additional sites that will have child care?

    In partnership with the Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities, the Department of Recreation and Parks will also continue to provide child care in three of the senior centers during the second marking period:

    • Arnold Senior Center
    • O'Malley Senior Cente
    • South County Senior Center
    How will I be able to register for these programs?  When will registration be available?
    • All programs will be open to children in grades K-5, who will receive Wi-Fi and staff support to log in to their virtual learning. In addition, the programs will provide arts and crafts, games, and physical activities.  All programs will follow all COVID-19 restrictions as required by the Maryland State Department of Education's Office of Child Care. 
    • Registration will open to the public for the second marking period on November 10, 2020.  Please see the registration page here:
  • Recreation Programs & Activities
    Are Recreation Centers open?
    • North County and South County Recreation Centers are open for scheduled programs
    When will the Fall Program Guide be available?
  • Parks
    Are the park entry fees being charged?
    • Beginning Tuesday, September 1, 2020 regional park entry fees will be reinstated.
      • The daily entrance fee is $6.00. 
      • Annual Park passes are $30 and allow entry to all regional parks.  Annual park passes are available for purchase at the regional park gatehouses and visitors centers.
      • Visitor Centers remain closed at this time.
    • County regional parks include:
      • Quiet Waters Park - 600 Quiet Waters Park Rd, Annapolis
      • Kinder Farm Park - 1001 Kinder Farm Park Rd, Millersville
      • Downs Park - 8311 John Downs Loop, Pasadena
      • Fort Smallwood Park - 9500 Fort Smallwood Rd, Pasadena (boat ramp fees are separate from entry fees)
      • Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary - 1361 Wrighton Road, Lothian, MD 20711
    • For more information about our parks please visit

    • The remainder of the 130 county parks remain free of charge, as always.
    • Social distancing guidelines are strictly enforced.
    • Please practice social distancing and abide by Governor Larry Hogan’s Public Health Advisory “Safer at Home” and stay safe. Thank you for your cooperation.  AMENDED-5.13.20.pd

    Can we walk in the park or trails?
    • Yes, the parks are open for exercise activities (jogging biking, walking, hiking etc.)
    Are park pavilions available?
    • As of June 20, 2020, Outdoor rental facilities can be reserved at normal rates.
    • Occupancy for outdoor rental facilities is limited to a 50 person capacity.
    Are indoor park facilities available for event rental?
    • Indoor park facilities are not available to rent at this time.
    Can we access the water at park beaches or boat ramps for recreational fishing, paddle boarding and kayaking?
    Are beaches open?
    Are Dog Parks open?
    Can we camp at the Park?
    • No camping is not permitted at this time
  • Golf Courses
    Are county Golf Courses open?
    • Yes, Compass Pointe Golf Courses in Pasadena, is open. Tee times will be spread out for social distancing. Golf carts will be available for use on Friday, May 7, 2020, walkers are welcome. All current social distancing provisions continue to be in place. We encourage golfers to wear face coverings and maintain 6 ft distance between people.
    • State guidance for golf courses can be found here: COVID-19 MSGA Guidelines
  • Additional Facilities
    Is Historic London Town and Gardens open?
    • Yes, Historic London Town and Gardens has re-opened in conjunction with county and state regulations as well as guidance from the Center for Disease Control. As such, there are several new policies planned to keep you and all visitors healthy and safe.
    • For more information, please visit
    Can we access the Dairy Farm?
    • No, the Dairy Farm is closed to the public. Gates will be closed for recreational activities during the uncertain time of COVID-19.