Retired AACO Police (LEOSA Information)
The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) was amended by the National Defense Authorization Act of 2013. The Anne Arundel County Police Training Academy LEOSA qualifications are open to sworn members who retired in good standing from the Anne Arundel County Police Department.
Unfortunately, we do not conduct LEOSA qualifications for any other police agencies. Retired officers from outside agencies may contact the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission (MPCTC) for assistance with LEOSA qualifications.
The MPCTC’s LEOSA information can be found at:
The Anne Arundel County Police Department LEOSA Memorandum can be found at:
Applicants can register using the online registration form.
All applications must be to the academy at least 14 days prior to the LEOSA date or it will not be processed. Please ensure that your full name (First, Middle, and Last) and Date of Birth are included on the application.
* NOTE if you don't have a middle name, use NMN
Application Process/Testing Requirements
Upon submitting your application you will only be contacted by the firearms training unit if there is a problem with your application or the date chosen is full. You must bring your retired police identification with you to LEOSA. If you do not have a retired AACO Identification Card, please contact the Police Technology Section at (410) 222-3021 for further details on how to acquire one.
The following gun manufacturers are approved for LEOSA use:
- H & K
- Sig Sauer
- Smith & Wesson
- Springfield Armory
The following requirements must be met:
1. A functioning semi-automatic firearm or revolver that holds at least five rounds.
- The firearm must be capable of firing five rounds without reloading
- Have a full trigger guard
- Speed loader
- Have all safety features originally in the firearm intact
- Sights in a style that would normally be found on a issued police handgun
- Ridgid outside the waistband holster
2. Appropriate brass cased ammunition only for their firearm, totaling 60 rounds
3. An outside the waist band holster that is rigid in design and allows the firearm to be drawn from the strong side. (cross draws, waist bags, ankle holsters and the use of pants pockets will not be allowed for safety reasons). The holster must fully cover the trigger guard when the firearm is holstered.
4. A minimum of three magazines with a minimum of one mag pouch.
- Long pants must be worn
- Closed toe shoes
- Upper body garments must not interfere with the drawing and holstering of the firearm
6. AACoPD will provide the necessary safety equipment. (***Shooters may bring your own eye and ear protection.)
7. LEOSA Applicants will be afforded one opportunity to shoot a passing score for both the Day and Reduced Light Qualification Courses. A failing score for either qualification course will result in the applicant being disqualified for LEOSA privileges until the next upcoming LEOSA qualification date.
8. LEOSA Applicants must abide by all Anne Arundel County Police Training Academy Range Rules as well as all direction/instruction from Range Officers. An applicant may be dismissed and asked to leave the range by a Range Officer for the following behavior:
- Discourteous or disrespectful behavior towards Range Officers/Academy Staff
- Receiving a failing qualification score
- Improper or unsafe firearm handling/manipulation
- Range rule/safety violations
- Receiving a DNQ for any reason, to include round count discrepancies, shooting another target, multiple rounds impacting the ground or eyebrow of the trap, failing to follow the course of fire/instructions, etc.
The Firearms Instructors are the final authority regarding the approval of a weapon and/or holster.
|The Training Academy has the following dates scheduled for LEOSA qualifications:|
|January 24, 2023||1700 hours|
|March 15, 2023||1700 hours|
|May 10, 2023||1700 hours|
|July 17, 2023||1700 hours|
|September 14, 2023||1700 hours|
|November 14, 2023||1700 hours|
***Applications MUST be received 14 days prior to the date or the application will be denied.