Skip Navigation
Page Background

Frequently Asked Questions

Zoning Enforcement

  • What is a Zoning Violation?

    Any land maintained contrary to the provisions of Article 18 of the Anne Arundel County Code is a zoning violation. Common violations include:

    • Junk Cars - Vehicles that are inoperable, wrecked or not displaying a valid tag.
    • Signs - There are many specific requirements regarding the placement and size of signs.
    • Commercial Vehicles - While the Zoning Ordinance does not specifically regulate all vehicles used for commercial use, it does prohibit oversize vehicles, those over 10,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight, on residential lots.
    • Junk- The Zoning Ordinance specifically defines junk and prohibits the keeping of junk on property.
    • Illegal Businesses- Specific types of businesses are allowed in each zoning district. Qualifying home occupations are allowed in all residential districts.

    This is only a partial list of common zoning violations. Please call Zoning Enforcement at (410) 222-7446 with any specific questions regarding a possible zoning violation.

  • How do I file a complaint regarding a Zoning Violation?

    Complaints must be in writing per the Anne Arundel County Code. You may email a complaint to [email protected], use the 311 app, or file a complaint form. Please remember that all complaints are subject to the Freedom of Information Act. Email addresses and copies of complaints will be available for public review.

  • Do I need a license from Zoning Enforcement in order to operate a business?

    A Zoning Certificate of Use, which certifies that the use meets zoning requirements, is required for all uses except single family and accessory dwelling units. Click here to download applications.

  • Where can I find a copy of the Anne Arundel County Zoning Ordinance?