Anne Arundel County Government employees are provided one of the most competitive pay and benefits packages in the area. See list below for more information about specific benefits offered.
For more information about Benefits, please call (410) 222-7595.
- Health InsuranceThe Health Insurance Program for Anne Arundel County Government employees is designed to allow eligible employees to choose his or her own benefit plan from among several different benefit options, selecting only those that best meet his/her needs.The cost of these benefits is shared between the County and the employee. Any deductions/ contributions for benefits and/or health or dependent care spending accounts are deducted from salaries on a pre-tax basis. As a result, the tax liability is reduced since contributions are be made on a pretax basis.Health insurance includes medical, dental, vision and flexible spending account options.
- Life InsuranceCounty employees are offered term life insurance based on their employment classification.
There are four types of life insurance available:
- Basic Life Insurance - provided by the County at no cost to the employee. Policy value range from $10,000 to $100,000 based on employment classification. Basic Life Insurance also includes accidental death and dismemberment coverage. Basic Life Insurance benefits are pro-rated for eligible part-time employees.
- Optional Life Insurance – Employees may elect Optional Life Insurance coverage in policy values ranging from $25,000 to $400,000. Optional Life Insurance also includes accidental death and dismemberment coverage.
- Spouse Life Insurance – Employees may elect Spouse Life Insurance coverage in the amount of $5,000, $25,000 or $50,000.
- Child Life Insurance - Employees may elect Child Life Insurance coverage in the amount of $2,500, $5,000 or $10,000. One premium covers all eligible children.
- Disability Income InsuranceCounty offers both a Short-term and Long-term Disability plan.
- Short-Term Disability benefit is 60% of your salary capped at a monthly benefit of $5,000. The deductions are taken on a post-tax basis so any money you receive will not be taxed. There is an offset of Worker's Compensation. Coverage starts after 7 calendar days of disability and will continue for a maximum of 6 months.
- Long-Term Disability benefit is 60% of your salary capped at a monthly benefit of $6,000. The deductions are taken on a post-tax basis so any money you receive will not be taxed. There is an offset with Worker's Compensation, Social Security and any pension benefits you receive. Coverage starts after 6 months of continued disability and will continue as long as you are disabled or until you reach Social Security Normal retirement age.
- Voluntary BenefitsThe Voluntary Benefit Program provides employees an opportunity to enroll in any or all of the benefits listed below with the convenience of payroll deduction. Employees pay all of the required premiums for these benefits. Employees may enroll at any time by contacting the Voluntary Benefit provider directly.
- Universal Life Insurance with Long Term Care Rider - Permanent life insurance that supplements existing County term life, combined with a long-term care rider that is available to employees, dependents and retirees on a Guaranteed Issue basis with no physical exams and liberal underwriting for dependents.
- United Legal Benefits - Provides a menu of covered legal services at no additional cost such as will preparation, phone consultation, attorney letters along with many deeply discounted legal services for issues such as divorce, bankruptcy, adoption, home purchase, etc.
- Paid Time OffNon-represented classified employees accrue annual leave each year based on the following schedule:
Non-represented employees may carry over any amount of unused annual leave in any calendar year to a maximum accumulation of 35 days. All accumulated annual leave in excess of 35 days converts to disability leave.Employees represented by a collective bargaining unit accrue annual leave each year based on the following schedule.
- Less than 3 years service - 13 days
- 3 to less than 15 years service - 20 days
- 15 years or more service - 26 days
Represented employees may carry over up to five days of unused annual leave in any calendar year to a maximum accumulation of 30 days.Part-time employees who work at least 20 hours a week consistently will receive prorated annual and disability leave benefits applicable to full-time employees.
- Less than 5 years - 10 days
- 5 to 10 years - 15 days
- 10 to less than 20 years - 20 days
- 20 years and more - 25 days
- Disability (sick) leaveClassified employees earn disability leave at a rate of 1.25 workdays for each full month of service to a maximum of 15 days a year. There is no restriction on the amount of disability leave that can be accumulated and carried forward to the next calendar year. Anne Arundel County Government does not currently have a long-term disability program. Unused disability leave can also be converted to service for computing retirement benefit. Upon retirement non-represented professional, management, and confidential employees can also be paid $25/day for unused payable disability leave.
- HolidaysFull-time Anne Arundel County Government employees receive 14 paid holidays annually. Due to the General Election, which occurs every two years, employees of Anne Arundel County Government will also receive Election Day as a holiday. This occurs the first Tuesday in November every election year. If a holiday falls on a Saturday, it is observed on the preceding Friday and if a holiday falls on a Sunday, it is observed on the succeeding Monday.Holidays for current calendar yearThe official holidays are:
New Year's Day Martin Luther King's Day Washington's Birthday Good Friday Memorial Day Juneteenth Independence Day Labor Day Election Day (General) Veteran's Day Thanksgiving Day Thanksgiving Friday Christmas Day
- Pension PlanClassified permanent employees of Anne Arundel County Government, who work at least 50% of the amount of time specified for the position may be members of one of the County's retirement plans. The following employee groups are also included in the Anne Arundel County Employees’ Retirement Plan: School Crossing Guards, Maryland Association of Counties, Anne Arundel County Credit Union, Soil Conservation District, the Anne Arundel County Housing Authority, Anne Arundel Economic Development Corporation and Public Library Association of Annapolis & Anne Arundel County if they are not eligible for any state pension or retirement plan.
Pension Plan participation is mandatory. Anne Arundel County offers pension benefits to all merit employees as well as some employees of related County Agencies. The County offers four (4) different plans:
- Deferred CompensationSince 1979, Anne Arundel County has been helping employees save for retirement by sponsoring a Deferred Compensation Plan. This Plan allows employees to make pretax salary contributions into an account consisting of one or more investment funds. Employees select the investment fund(s) from among those offered and all investment earnings are tax deferred the same as pretax salary contributions.Participation in the Deferred Compensation Plan is completely voluntary.
- Educational AssistanceEducational assistance is provided to permanent employees who complete pre-approved educational courses related to their job or for credits toward a degree or certificate.Reimbursement is offered for direct tuition cost only and does not include fees or service charges.
- Employee Assistance ProgramThe Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a confidential service for employees and members of their immediate family who have problems, which may interfere with their ability to work. Through the EAP, skilled clinicians can help the employee or the employee’s family members identify problems and decide on a course of action to solve them. The EAP can provide assessment, short-term treatment, and referral for follow-up assistance through one or more of the many service providers throughout the area.
- Smoke Free EnvironmentAll County offices, buildings, and vehicles are smoke free. Smoking is only allowed in designated outside areas.
Smoking Cessation resources are available to employees who elect County medical insurance.