Emergency Go Kit
Creating a go-kit for your family will aid in eliminating stress when disasters occur. Go-kits are simply pre-stocked bags or boxes that can be picked up and taken anywhere in the event of a quick evacuation during an emergency. The idea is to stock these kits with your family’s essential items. A go-kit can be purchased from some retail stores or online, but by creating one unique to your family, you will have all necessary items when evacuating. Consider the following suggestions for your go-kit:
- Water for yourself, family members, and pets
- Food: non-perishable and compact
- Flashlight, radio
- Change of clothes, extra blankets
- First aid supplies
- Copies of prescriptions, extra medications
- Copies of identification cards, social security cards, insurance documents, etc.
Since you do not know where you will be when an emergency occurs, prepare supplies for home, work and vehicles.
- Home: Keep this kit in a designated place and have it ready in case you have to leave your home quickly. Make sure all family members know where the kit is kept
- Work: Be prepared to shelter at work for at least 24 hours. Your work kit should include food, water, and other necessities like medicines, as well as comfortable walking shoes, stored in a “grab and go” case
- Vehicle: In case you are stranded, keep a kit of emergency supplies in your car