Skip Navigation
Page Background

Frequently Asked Questions


  • What is the water/sewer availability for my property?
    You will need to provide an address that we can use to determine whether water and sewer is available, or, if not, the distance from your property when you contact us.
  • When will water & sewer be extended to my property?

    The proposed capital projects for the next five years are identified in the Budget/CIP document. If your area is not included, then a separate petition for service can be made as outlined on the Petition for Public Water/Wastewater Service page.

  • What is the process for developing property?
    That process is governed by Article 17 of the Anne Arundel County Code. A three-step process is required by the State Stormwater Management Act of 2007.
  • Who maintains stormwater management facilities?
    In older subdivisions, stormwater management ponds are typically maintained by the County’s department of Public Works (DPW). In newer residential developments (typically those approved after 2010) Stormwater management facilities that provide SWM solely for public facilities such as roads etc. and are owned and/or maintained by the County, may be designated as public. All other facilities are considered private. (AAC SWM Practices & Procedures Manual Chapter 8.1). Maintenance on those private facilities is the responsibility of a Homeowner’s Association or the private property owner, and a private Stormwater Management Maintenance Agreement has been recorded that set out those maintenance responsibilities. Stormwater management facilities in commercial, industrial and multi-family developments are privately maintained by the property owner.
  • I have a complaint about a utility permit (hours of work, vehicle access, noise)

    Any complaints about work being done under an approved permit should be directed to the Department of Inspections & Permits at (410) 222-7780 or [email protected]. Environmental complaints after hours can use (410) 222-7777.

  • I have a flooding complaint.
    Complaints about flooding should be directed to the appropriate Maintenance District of the Department of Public Works. The appropriate road district can be identified by entering your address to identify your road district.
  • Do I need public plans? or a Public Works Agreement?
    If your project involves the construction of any infrastructure that will be maintained by the County following the completion of constriction, you will need a Public Works Agreement. That Agreement is generally part of a Subdivision or Site Development Plan process, and you will be guided through the specific requirements by an engineer from the Department of Inspections and Permits.
  • Where can I put my driveway?

    Residential Driveway Guidelines are found at Right of Way Permit.

  • How do I obtain an Onsite Plumbing Permit?
    If an Onsite Plumbing Permit is required, the applicant should leave at least three copies of plans with the Engineer of the Day (EOD) in the Department of Inspections and Permits. The original reviewer, or the EOD will be responsible for reviewing the plans. Turnaround time is three (3) days. Three sets of water and sewer site plans are required. All private water and sewer lines must be highlighted on the plans. Review includes the private water and sewer system up to five feet from the building. The water and sewer checklist is used to review the construction materials, slope, spacing of cleanouts, and pipe cover. If everything is in order, the plans are stamped and signed by the reviewer.
  • Where can I find plat information?
    Recorded plats can be searched at Archives of Maryland.
  • What is ESD? How do I figure out what I have to build? Do I have to build a pond?
    Environmental Site Design, or “ESD”, relies on integrating site design, natural hydrology, and smaller controls to capture and treat runoff. The regulation, effective in 2009, is meant to refocus stormwater design from centralized management to more effective planning and implementation of ESD. Your site designer will determine what existing resources are located on your site that should be protected, and should design the site accordingly, including recommendations for the size, type, and number of stormwater management facilities that are required. In general, centralized ponds are now discouraged in favor of smaller facilities located throughout the site in an effort to treat the runoff nearer to the source.
  • Where can I place a new well? Septic system?

    The Anne Arundel County Department of Health regulates private wells and septic systems in the County.  More information can be found at Anne Arundel Department of Health's Wells and Septic Systems