Once a permit is issued, construction can commence. It is the permit holders' responsibility to contact the county when stages of construction are reached that require an inspection. Our Inspections Team checks to see that construction work in the field is built according to approved plans with respect to Anne Arundel County Building Code. More than 25 certified inspectors cover all construction in Anne Arundel County's 588 square miles. This page provides information about the inspection process and procedures.
Inspection Metrics (coming soon)
Inspection arrival times cannot be guaranteed but will be performed on the day requested.
Third Party Inspections
Before you dig:Before you begin excavation for your project, you must first contact Miss Utility at (800) 257-7777. For additional info, https://www.missutility.net/maryland/
On the day of inspection:
- Ladders, scaffolds and other equipment necessary to access construction must be provided to the inspector.
- A set of hard copies of the county approved/stamped plans, site-related plan and shop drawings must be on site.
- Contractor must be present on site prior to the inspector arrival and shall provide access through lock doors.
Failure to comply with these requirements will result in a re-inspection. The contractor will be required to reschedule and pay re-inspection fee. The county will not be held liable for project delay for such reasons.
COVID requirements for Inspections
- All workers within 6 feet of an inspector shall wear face coverings.
- 6 feet social distance shall be maintained at all times from the inspector.
- The inspector has a right to refuse inspection where the environment is deemed unsafe.
Failure to comply with these requirements will result in a re-inspection. The contractor will be required to reschedule and pay a re-inspection fee. The county will not be held liable for project delay for such reasons. For additional info, see COVID-19 Guidance for Home VisitingCOVID-19 Guidance for Home Visiting.”
Need a Consultation
Connect with inspections staff to answer quick and easy code questions or to collaborate on large or complex projects. Schedule your virtual appointment.