Update January 2019
- The County is working with their engineering consultant JMT to complete the Bid Documents (Plans & Specs) for the Shipley’s Dam Project.
- The County’s contractor Seismic Surveys performed surveys of homes within 500 feet of the proposed culvert under West Benfield Road. These surveys document existing conditions of buildings and structures prior to construction. The new culvert will be supported by concrete piles, and pile driving will create vibrations. Seismic Surveys will conduct a post-construction survey of homes and structures to verify that no damage occurred. To date, 13 of the 23 homes within the 500-foot radius have been surveyed. A listing and map of the homes to be surveyed is included at the end of this document (Enclosure 1).
- The County coordinated with BGE regarding the relocation of the overhead lines along West Benfield Road, which will occur prior to culvert installation. These lines and a pole lie within the area to be excavated for the new culvert and sewer lines. Tree trimming will precede installation of three new poles and moving the overhead lines north of the road. After the culvert is installed, the overhead lines will be returned to their original location along the road. Refer to Enclosure 2 for the overhead line relocation plan.
- The County coordinated with BGE regarding the temporary relocation of the gas line buried under West Benfield Road. Relocating this line will prevent damage to it during culvert construction. BGE is preparing plans & specs for the gas line relocation, and this work will be included in the Shipley’s Dam Project construction. Once BGE has provided these documents, the Shipley’s Dam Project will be put out to bid.
Public Meeting Presentation - February 13, 2018
Late February Tree trimming for overhead line relocation W. Benfield Rd
Early March BGE sets new poles and relocates overhead line
Mid March Comcast & Verizon relocate their overhead lines
Mid March Shipley’s Dam construction project put out to bid
Mid May Construction Contract Award
Early June Construction begins with culvert installation on W. Benfield Rd
Early 2019 Begin removal of Shipley’s Dam
Late Summer 2019 Construction complete
- During culvert construction under West Benfield Road, the road will be closed to through traffic. Work to be accomplished during the road closure includes: removal of the existing culvert, excavation for the new culvert, pile driving, installation of the 7’ x 10’ concrete box culvert, and utility relocations.
- Enclosure 3 is the road closure plan included in the Shipley’s Dam plan set. The section of West Benfield Road west of Pixie Drive and east of Severnside Drive will be closed to traffic.
- It is estimated that West Benfield Road will be closed for 4 – 5 months. A more precise duration and approximate dates for the road closure will be provided after construction contract award, when the contractor submits their construction schedule.
Update January 2018
The project design is 99% complete. Construction start for culvert improvements along West Benfield Road is anticipated in June 2018. Removal of the existing dam should begin in early 2019.
Update May 2017
The project design is 95% complete and is currently in the permitting process. Construction notice to proceed for removal of the existing dam and culvert improvements is anticipated for the summer of 2017.