To provide for public safety through the confinement of pretrial detainees and convicted offenders in safe and secure facilities, and by offering alternatives to incarceration and re-entry services which are comprehensive and effective.
Serving the citizens of Anne Arundel County by professionally managing safe and secure correctional facilities and offering programs and services to pretrial and convicted individuals which support successful re-entry to the community.
The Department of Detention Facilities accomplishes its mission through (1) training of staff in current correctional philosophy and techniques, (2) promulgation of policies reflecting recognized standards in the management of staff and offender population, (3) careful adherence to security principles; (4) maintaining clean, safe facilities, (5) providing medical and mental health care services; and (6) offering services to inmates to aid in their re-entry to the community. Toward this end, the Department has set the following goals:
- Operate constitutional and efficient facilities that comply with Maryland Commission on Correctional Standards
- Operate safe and secure facilities that ensure public, staff, and inmate safety
- Use new technologies that maximize efficiency and reduce operating costs
- Provide the resources necessary to ensure effective recruitment, training, performance, and development of staff
- Partner with the criminal justice system to develop initiatives which control inmate population growth by ensuring efficient case processing and making available effective alternatives to incarceration
- Establish and maintain partnerships with other governmental and community agencies and with the private sector to provide services which support offenders' successful re-entry to the community.