Anne Arundel County Department of Recreation and Parks has acquired two large waterfront properties in Pasadena. In an effort to provide enhanced public recreational opportunities as well as preserve significant natural and cultural resources, the Department has initiated the Fort Smallwood Park and Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Park Master Planning Committee. The Master Planning Committee has developed recommendations for the future utilization of these outstanding properties. The committee meet monthly over a period of approximately one year. In close proximity, both parks will operate as a single entity using staff currently headquartered at Fort Smallwood Park. With proper planning, leadership and passion, these properties will blend to be a treasure in our park system.
The 235-acre Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Park was acquired in 2005 with the assistance of major donations of property from the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation and financial assistance from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources’ Program Open Space. This undeveloped property includes approximately 8,000 feet of waterfront on Rock Creek.
The 100-acre Fort Smallwood Park is being operated under a long-term agreement with its owner, the City of Baltimore. This expansive property was originally developed by the City on the site of a 1900-era harbor fortification. Two historic structures remain. The park has approximately 5,000 feet of waterfront on the Patapsco River and is located on a significant migratory bird flyway.