Fire Department Access Roads/Fire Lanes
General Guidelines for Fire Department Access Roads
Approved fire department access roads shall be provided for every facility, building, or portion of a building hereafter constructed or relocated. NFPA 1: 18.104.22.168.1, 2012 edition
Fire department access roads shall be provided such that any portion of the facility or any portion of an exterior wall of the first story of the building is located not more than 150 feet from fire department access roads as measured by an approved route around the exterior of the building or facility. (Radial measurements are not permitted.) NFPA 1: 22.214.171.124.2, 2012 edition
When measured from either end this measurement effectively allows 300' of most structures to not have formal fire department access.
Fire Department Connections
Fire department connections to building sprinkler and standpipe systems shall be located within 100 feet of a paved surface accessible to fire department apparatus and within 100 feet of a hydrant. NFPA 1,18.6.1, 2012 edition, as amended AACo. Code
Fire department connections shall be on the main entrance side of the building unless otherwise approved by the AHJ. NFPA 1:126.96.36.199, as amended, AACo.Code, 2012 edition
Fire Department Access Roads - Specifications -NFPA 1: 188.8.131.52, as amended
|Surface||Shall be designed and maintained to support the imposed loads of fire apparatus and shall be provided with an all-weather driving surface.|
|Width||20' (unobstructed - minimum)|
|Setback||10' from outermost projection of structure|
|Design Load||35 tons (minimum)|
|Turning radii||38' inside, 47' outside |
|Grade||a. 15% concrete surfaces|
| ||b. 12% asphalt surfaces|
| ||c. 5% unpaved surfaces|
Marking of Fire Department Access Roads
- Surfaces must consist of concrete, asphalt, compacted gravel, or other approved surfaces. Grass covered surfaces are not approved. NFPA 1:184.108.40.206.2, as amended, AACo. Code, 2012 edition.
- Curb-Cuts - Extend at least 2 ft. beyond each edge of the fire lane
- The Fire Marshal Division shall be notified prior to cover. A geotechnical report or compaction test report may be required to verify that the access road has been installed in accordance with applicable specifications.
Dead End Distances
- Dead-end fire department fire lanes/access roads in excess of 150 feet in length shall be provided with approved provisions for the turning around of fire apparatus. NFPA 1, 220.127.116.11.4.
- Approved signs shall be provided and maintained to identify fire department access roads or to prohibit the obstruction thereof or both. Signs shall be provided at the ends of fire lanes with additional signs provided as needed not to exceed 100 feet spacing. Signs shall be in accordance with Anne Arundel County Fire Department standard detail for fire lane signs. NFPA 1: 18.104.22.168.1.