Skip Navigation


Print this page




Watershed Protection & Restoration Program
Appeal and Credit FAQ's

[Back to the FAQ Main Page]







Can I appeal the fee that my property was assessed?
Yes.  Property owners that feel their bill was assessed or calculated incorrectly may appeal their bill to the Department of Public Works.  Administrative appeals will be based on the following criteria:
  • Incorrect Zoning Classification of Real Property
  • Errors in Impervious Area Calculation for Non-Residential Property
  • Mathematical Errors in Calculation 
  • Real Property is Not Subject to the Charge
  • Property Owner is Exempt From the Charge
  • Errors in the Identification of the Property Owner
Is there a deadline to file an appeal?
Yes.  The County Code stipulates the deadline to file an appeal is September 30.
Do I have to pay the fee if I file an appeal?
If you file an appeal, you are not required to pay the WPRF for the tax year the appeal was submitted until a decision is rendered.  If your appeal is upheld, you will receive a new bill for the WPRF.  If your appeal is denied, you will be required to pay the originally billed fee.  
How long will it take to rule on my appeal?
The Director of Public Works is required to rule within 45 days of receipt of your appeal.  You will be notified of the results of your appeal in a letter from DPW.  If your appeal is upheld, a new bill in the revised amount will be issued by the County.
If my appeal is approved do I have to file a new appeal each year?
No.  The appeal decision will be reflected on the following years’ bills.
What is the difference between an appeal and a credit?
Appeals - The Watershed Protection and Restoration Fee Appeal Program is intended for property owners who feel that they have been billed in error.  If you feel that your property has been assigned to an incorrect billing category or you feel there is an error in the calculation of your fee then you should file an Appeal using one of the following forms: 

Completed forms should be mailed to:


WPRF Appeals

Anne Arundel County DPW

MS 7310

2662 Riva Road

Annapolis, MD 21401


The Anne Arundel County Office of Finance offers a program to reduce or waive the WPRF fee (and also the Bay Restoration Fund) for property owners who meet certain financial hardship provisions.  Information and application forms for this program are available through the Office of Finance.   

Completed forms should be mailed to:


Office of Finance

Utility Billing and Customer Service

P.O. Box 2700

MS 1103

Annapolis, MD 21404

Credits - Credits for reducing stormwater fees are available for eligible property owners who can demonstrate that they have already installed and properly maintained certain stormwater controls.   The Stormwater Fee Credit Program and Policy Document for Anne Arundel County was approved by the Maryland Department of Environment as required by law. 


The deadline to apply for a Stormwater Fee Credit is September 30.

When Should I use Form 13-1 "Residential Property" appeal application?
  • If you believe your property was categorized in the wrong Tier.

  • If you are a Tier 1 property but have less than 2,900 square feet of impervious surface

  • If you are a Tier 2 property but have less than 1,200 square feet of impervious surface

Properties in Tier 1 are those that are in zoning districts RA or RLD and that are improved with a single family detached dwelling.


Properties in Tier 2 are those that are in zoning districts R1, R2, or R5 and that are improved with a single family dwelling.


Properties in Tier 3 are those that are in zoning districts R10, R15, or R22 and that are improved by an attached dwelling or a single family dwelling, and also properties in zones RA, RLD, R1, R2, or R5 that are improved by an attached dwelling or is a mobile home space under a license issued by the County. Attached dwellings are those containing two dwelling units on top of one another, two units side by side, or townhomes.


Property owners may view their zoning districts on the digital map “Anne Arundel County Digital Zoning Layer” prepared by the Office of Planning and Zoning and adopted by the County Council. 

When Should I use Form 13-2 "Incorrect Classification of Property" appeal application?
If you believe your Watershed Protection and Restoration Fee has been calculated incorrectly based on the classification found on your tax bill.
If the property is an incorporated or unincorporated Homeowners Association, Civil or Community Association, Council of Condominium Owners or similar entity and you think the fee should be capped based on the provisions of § 13-7-103 (g) of the County Code.
If you believe a mathematical error has been made in the fee calculation or there is an error in the calculation of impervious surface area.
When Should I use Form 13-5 "Exempt or Incorrect Property Owner" appeal form?

• If you believe you are not subject to the Stormwater Fee for one of the following reasons:

  • Property is in the City of Annapolis
  • Owned by the State of Maryland
  • Owned by a unit of State Government
  • Owned by a County
  • Owned by a Municipality
  • Owned by a regularly organized volunteer fire department that issued for public purposes
  • Unimproved property (contains no impervious surface area)
  • Owned by a veterans’ organization that is exempt from taxation under § 501(c)(4) or (19) of the internal revenue code

• If the person billed is not the record owner of the property


• If the property owner qualifies for a financial hardship exemption.  (See Form 13-6 "Financial Hardship" for required application)

[Return to Top]

When Should I use Form 13-6 "Financial Hardship" appeal form?
In order to qualify for the Financial Hardship Exemption you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
  • The Property must receive an individual real property tax bill

  • Certify they are an owner/occupant OR hold a lease or contract for the property

  • Applicants must meet 2 of the below conditions:

    • Receiving an energy assistance subsidy

    • Receiving a supplemental security income (SSI) or food stamps

    • Receiving veterans or social security disability benefits

    • Meet a monthly income criteria (see application)

If you think you qualify for a financial hardship, please use this form.  


All Residential Application for WPRF Financial Hardship Exemptions are reviewed by the Office of Finance.

[Return to Top]

If I appeal my WPRF for 2016, will it retroactively change my fee from 2015?
No. According to the Anne Arundel County Code (§13-7-104(b)), an appeal shall be submitted on or before September 30 in order to receive a correction of the stormwater' remediation fee for the current billing year. The appeal is not retroactive to prior tax years.
I successfully appealed my Stormwater Fee in 2015, but the fee is higher than what I paid last year.  Why?
In cases where the WPRF is higher in the 2016 tax year, this may be due to the Phase-In period that started in 2014 and ended in 2016.  In addition, some properties were reclassified for the 2016 billing year.  
Are credits available for improvements to my property that reduce my contribution of pollutants related to stormwater runoff?
There are two existing County programs and one under development that are designed to allow property owners to request monetary credits for stormwater management improvements which have been implemented on their properties.

Stormwater Fee Credit Program

This program was developed by the Department of Public Works and, as required by state law, approved by the Maryland Department of Environment (MDE). It recognizes the significant stormwater control investments made by certain property owners and encourages runoff control practices that proactively and sustainably manage stormwater on private property.


Eligible property owners include: owners of multi-family property, owners of non-residential property, and owners of residential property with an Inspection and Maintenance Agreement for Private Stormwater Management executed after 2002.


Stormwater Fee Credit Program Information 

Stormwater Fee Credit Program and Policy Document for Anne Arundel County

Stormwater Fee Credit Program Applications


Stormwater Fee Rebate Program

Residential properties with stormwater management improvements that do not have an inspection and maintenance agreement are not eligible for the Stormwater Fee Credit Program. However, Anne Arundel County is looking to create a "Rebate Program" for residential properties during the fiscal year 2016. Stormwater practices, including rain gardens, rain barrels, and alternative paving (porous concrete) are anticipated to be eligible to receive a one-time rebate.  Please look for the announcement of the "Rebate Program" on the following web page in the near future:  Receipts, photo documentation, plans/brochures, installation documentation, rebate application, etc. will most likely be required to receive a rebate. 


Stormwater Management Property Tax Credit Program

Another option for properties with stormwater practices that do not have an inspection and maintenance agreement is the Stormwater Management Property Tax Credit Program administered by the Office of Planning and Zoning. It provides for a reduction in County property taxes for qualified stormwater improvements. The application must be filed within 45 days after the completion of the qualifying improvements and annually thereafter.  


FAQ on the Tax Credit


Qualified Practices for the Tax Credit


Tax Credit Application


Include with your application the following materials:

  • All Invoices for material and labor

  • Photographs of the completed installation

  • Signed tax credit application

  • Copy of County permit(s)

Estimated processing time is four weeks. Depending on the date of submittal, a property owner will either receive an adjusted property tax bill or a refund check via US Mail. Please submit all materials to Anne Arundel County, Office of Finance, Attention: Sales Tax Accountant, PO Box 427, Annapolis, Maryland 21404.


[Return to Top]

Can I obtain an inspection and maintenance agreement for a stormwater BMP installed on my property that does not already have one?
Inspection and maintenance agreements for private stormwater management are executed between the property owner and the County prior to the issuance of a grading permit for the property. They cannot be obtained after the stormwater BMP has been constructed.
Where can I find a copy of the inspection and maintenance agreement for the stormwater BMP installed on my property?
You can find a copy of the agreement on the Maryland Land Records website - (Must register as a user)

Social Networking Icons (Fb, Twitter, RSS, Pinterest, Email List)

Anne Arundel County, Maryland. 44 Calvert Street, Annapolis, Maryland 21401 | Tele: (410) 222-7000