Skip Navigation


Print this page




Frequently Asked Water/Wastewater Usage Billing Questions

1.  "How can I contact Customer Service about a water or wastewater usage billing issue?"
Contact Customer Service by phone at (410) 222-1144.  From the D.C. area, Customer Service can be reached on (301) 970-8250 Ext. 1144.  Calls are answered from 8:00 am to 4:20 pm weekdays. 
Or send an Email to Customer Service
2. "Where can I go to pay my bill?"  "What are the hours of operation?"
Main Office: The Arundel Center - 44 Calvert Street Room 110 Annapolis, MD. 21401
Glen Burnie Office: Arundel Center North 101 N Crain Highway - 1st Floor (new location) Glen Burnie, Maryland 21061
Riva Road Office: Heritage Office Complex 2664 Riva Road, Room 110 Annapolis, Maryland 21401
Hours of Business for all locations are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 
Pay by Mail: A.A.Co. Water & Wastewater P. O. Box 17492 Baltimore, MD 21297-0476
Pay On-line at
3.  "What is the phone number for Customer Service?"
Contact Customer Service by phone at (410) 222-1144.  From the D.C. area, Customer Service can be reached at (301) 970-8250 Ext. 1144. Calls are answered from 8:00 am to 4:20 pm weekdays. 
4.  "I've misplaced or lost my usage bill. How can I get a copy?"
Contact Customer Service at (410) 222-1144 or view your bill on-line at
5.  “What do I do if my water service has been turned off?”
Please contact Customer Service at (410) 222-1144 to discuss the actions needed to have your service restored.  Customer Service can be reached between 8:00 a.m. and 4:20 p.m., Monday through Friday.  After business hours, on weekends or holidays, please contact the Department of Public Works, Emergency Services at (410) 222-8400, from South County, call (410) 451-4118.
If payment is not received by the due date and the account is scheduled to be turned off, a $50 fee to cover administrative costs is charged. Once the account is scheduled for turn off, ALL payments must be made in cash, certified check, money order, or on-line at
Meter Services personnel and Emergency Services crews cannot accept payments or make payment extensions.
6. “Why is my bill estimated?”
Occasionally, it is impossible to read a meter at the scheduled time – usually due to inclement weather conditions. In such cases, an estimated bill is rendered based on the average consumption for the same period in the prior year. An estimated bill may be a little higher or lower if actual usage was abnormal, however, the next actual reading will automatically adjust for any variation in the estimate.
7. “Why do I have a Returned Check Fee on my bill?”
A fee of $25 is assessed for any payment returned by the bank unpaid.
8.  “How do you determine the amount of my bill?”
If you have public water and wastewater service, your bill is determined by the amount of water that has passed through your meter since the last meter reading.  Meters are read quarterly. The charge for wastewater is also based on the amount of water that is delivered through the water meter to your home.  If you only have public wastewater service, then your bill is a flat rate charge based on an average use of 16,000 gallons per quarter.


Consumption Rate:
Water - $2.76 per thousand gallons
Wastewater - $4.85 per thousand gallons
Your bill may also include the following fees:
Capital Facility Connection Recoupment Fee:
Anne Arundel County residential Utility Customers will pay an additional $2.63 per thousand gallons for water usage exceeding 30,000 gallons in any given quarterly billing period.  The Capital Facility Recoupment charge is part of County Council-approved Bill 37-11 and targets residents that use more capacity than the capital facility connection charge rate limit of 250 gallon per day.

As of July 1, 2014, the Capital Facility Connection Recoupment Fee will increase to $2.93/1000 gallons of water usage exceeding the 30,000 gallon maximum for any given quarterly billing period.

Environmental Protection Fee:
The Environmental Protection Fee is added to all usage charges (except accounts in the Mayo Service Area) for water and wastewater service to recover costs associated with construction, expansion, or improvement to facilities serving existing connected customers. 
25% of all wastewater charges 
Charge Description on usage bill: EPF
25% of all water charges
Charge Description on usage bill: EPF WATER
Penalty for Late Payment:
A penalty charge of 10% is assessed on all water and wastewater service charges that are not paid within 30 days of the billed date.
Charge Description on usage bill: PNLTY
Account Maintenance Charge
The Account Maintenance Charge is to cover the cost of meter reading and usage billing.
For each usage bill based on metered service, the charge is $6.00
Charge Description on usage bill: ACCT MNT M
For each usage bill based on unmetered service, the charge is $3.00
Charge Description on usage bill: ACCT MNT U
Bay Restoration Fee
The County collects the Bay Restoration Fund Fee from water or wastewater customers and from improved properties served by on-site septic systems and wells.  The fee is paid to the State of Maryland.  The funds are used by the State for programs to improve the water quality of the Chesapeake Bay.  Additional information on the Bay Restoration Program can be obtained by calling the Maryland Department of the Environment at 410-537-3119 or by accessing the State’s website at:
For a residential property with an individual usage account, the charge is $15.00 per quarter. 
Charge Description on usage bill:  *BRF
9.  "When was the last time we had an increase in the billing rate?"
A 3% increase in the water and wastewater rates per 1,000 gallons of water used went into effect on July 1, 2013 and a 5% rate increase occured on January 1, 2012.
10. "I can't afford to pay my full bill by the due date. Who should I contact?"
Call the Customer Service Section at (410) 222-1144 and inquire about payment plans.  In addition, there are outside sources to contact for financial assistance.  See below:
Social Service, Client Advocat Annapolis, MD 21401 - Front Desk, 2nd  Floor (410) 269-4560 or Job Center (410) 269-4573
Anne Arundel County Disabled & Handicapped Awareness - Department of Aging (Age 18 and older) - 2661 Riva Road, Annapolis, MD. 21401. Phone (410) 222-4526
Information and Referral, First Call for Help - 100 S. Charles Street Baltimore, MD. 21201 (5th Floor). Phone (410) 685-2159 or (800) 492-0618
Hearing and Impaired: Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM (410) 685-2159
Salvation Army, Area Command 814 Light Street Baltimore, MD. 21230 Baltimore, MD. 21230 (410) 783-2920
St. Vincent de Paul Society 19 West Franklin Street, Baltimore, MD. 21201 (410) 659-4020
Energy Assistance Programs (Community Action Agency)  251 West Street Annapolis, MD. 21401 (410) 626-1910
Food Stamps (Department of Social Services) 80 West Street Annapolis, MD. 21401 (410) 269-4500
Lutheran Mission Society Compassion Center 230 West Street, Annapolis, MD. 21401 (410) 269-5016
Anne Arundel County Community Action Agency - 251 West Street Annapolis, MD. 21401 (410) 626-1900 or (410) 1912
Northern Emergency Outreach Network (NEON) - 304 5th Street Glen Burnie, MD. 21061 (410) 766-1826
CAA Senior Aide (Community Action Agency) - 251 West Street Annapolis, MD. 21401 (410) 626-1913
Severna Park Assistance Network (SPAN) - 400 Benfield Road Severna Park, MD. 21146 (410) 647-0889
11. "My usage bill is extremely high. Who do I contact to have it checked?"
Contact Customer Service at (410) 222-1144 to have a work order processed for a meter reading verification. Specially trained Customer Service Representatives will be glad to offer their assistance.
Questions about Public Works’ delivered services can be directed to Public Works Customer Relations Unit at (410) 222-7582.
12. “We left our outside hose running, without knowing it, can we get a credit on our next bill?”
Contact Customer Service at (410) 222-1144 or send an email to Customer Service. Specially trained Customer Service Representatives will be glad to offer their assistance.
13.  "I had poly- blue water pipes replaced after a leak was discovered. Can I get an adjustment on my bill?"
Contact Customer Service at (410) 222-1144 or send an email to Customer Serviceto inquire about the adjustment process. A copy of the repair bill from a Licensed Plumber will be required to complete the adjustment.
14.  “What is the Wastewater Surcharge Program?”
The Wastewater Surcharge Program is a mechanism to recover costs incurred when treating high strength wastes discharged by some industrial and commercial users to the wastewater system. These additional funds are needed to cover the cost of the operation and maintenance at the treatment plants and to make the wastewater system financially self-supporting.  The surcharge cost appears as a separate line item on your bimonthly or quarterly utility bill.  Surcharge costs are based on the actual costs to operate and maintain seven (7) water reclamation facilities in the County, debt service, and the organic, nutrient and solids loadings treated at the plants.
15.  “What is a Front Foot Benefit Assessment Bill?”
This is your share of the cost incurred by the County to construct the water or wastewater lines that provide public service to your community.  This bill is sent to the property owner annually for 30 years.  It can be transferred with the property to new owners.
16. “What is a 30 Year Installment Plan Bill?”
The 30 Year Installment Plan (also known as the Capital Facility Connection Charge) is billed annually with the Front Foot Benefit Assessment over a 30 year term.  The money paid is applied to the repayment of the bonds sold to build the public water or public wastewater system such as treatment plants, force mains and pumping stations.  It is 2/3 of the Capital Facility Connection Charge.  Any balance remaining due on this charge at the time of title transfer of the property must be paid off.
17.  “Can I pay off my Front Benefit Foot Assessment or 30 Year Installment Plan early?”
Yes.  Please contact the Office of Finance, Customer Service at (410) 222-1144 to obtain 30-Year Installment Plan pay off information. Please contact the Department of Public Works, Financial Services Division at (410) 222-7512 to obtain pay off information for a Front Foot Benefit Assessment.
18.  “What is an Allocation bill?”
An allocation is a reservation of water or wastewater plant capacity for use at a specific property.  Property owners or developers apply for an allocation to ensure that capacity is available when a property is ready to be connected to the County’s water or wastewater systems.  Questions regarding Utility Allocation requirements can be directed to the Department of Public Works by calling (410) 222-7509.
19.  “How often are Allocations billed?”
The Allocation Reservation Charge is billed quarterly until the actual connection is made.
Charge Description on utility bill:
For a water allocation -  ALLOCW
For a wastewater allocation - ALLOCS
For the Mayo Service area only - ALLOCM
20.  “If I am connected to the public wastewater system, but not the public water system and I believe I use less than 16,000 gallons per quarter, is there a way to lower my bill?”
 If you are connected to the public wastewater system but not to public water, and wondering if there is a way to save money on your bill, the Department's Metered Wastewater Account Program may be just what you're looking for.  Anne Arundel County has established this program to allow flat rate customers to convert their bills to metered accounts.  
The current flat rate charge is based on the average use of 16,000 gallons per quarter for a family of three. If you have less than three people living in your home year-round, or live on your property periodically, or use less than 16,000 gallons of water per quarter, it may be cost-effective for you to convert to a metered account.
A licensed plumber must install a county approved water meter on your private well system. It is their responsibility to contact the Bureau of Utility Operations Meter Services section before proceeding with installation. Call (410) 222-8455 for detailed instructions on proper installation of the water meter and a remote register.
Note: The remote register must be installed 5' above ground level. Your plumber is also required to acquire a connection permit from the Department of Inspections and Permits. This permit is valid for 6 months from the date it was issued and another must be re-issued if time expires. A county inspector must inspect the connection.
21. “Why are my meter readings from a Private Water Company?”
In some areas, the County provides wastewater service, but a private company provides water. In those cases, the County wastewater charge is based on the water consumption as reported to by the private company.



Social Networking Icons (Fb, Twitter, RSS, Pinterest, Email List)

Anne Arundel County, Maryland. 44 Calvert Street, Annapolis, Maryland 21401 | Tele: (410) 222-7000